SFO to Stanford Court Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five, three teenage daughters, visiting San Francisco for the first time. We are staying at the Stanford Court.Just wondered what is the best form of transport to get from the airport to the hotel, BART, taxi or limo/shuttle service. Is hotel far from BART station. Would appreciate your help and comments.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM

The BART ride is going to cost you $5.15 per person. Then you have to schlep up the hill, or catch a cab. I would simply head over to the second curb and use one of the vans. You could call supershuttle and reserve ahead of time (also try: http://www.quakecityshuttle.com/).
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM

>>Then you have to schlep up the hill<<

It's a VERY steep uphill climb - I wouldn't even do it without bags to carry. The taxi driver would not be happy to drive you only 8 blocks from BART to Nob hill.

Take a Van from SFO. Not sure there are taxis that could accommodate 5 passengers plus bags.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions will probably reserve the supershuttle. Looking forward to our visit to San Francisco.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 09:32 AM

BART doesn't go near this hotel. Shuttle is your best bet, or 2 taxis.

I am always surprised, why people make shuttle reservations? Just hop on the first available, they are always there, 24/7.

I live in San Francisco, and never bother myself with waiting for a reserved shuttle, or hurrying to one if the plane is late.

Going back to SFO, this is where you need a reservation. I've tried several, and settled with Bay Shuttle, like their lower prices and being always on time.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM

We are two and always take taxis from SFO to hotels downtown: no hassle.
Love the Ren Stanford Court, but Chancellor Hot is a greater deal.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 05:34 PM

We were just in SF and stayed next door to the Stanford Court, at the Mark Hopkins. We took a taxicab from the airport for $40. While waiting in the short line for a cab, we saw "van" cabs. They didn't put two people in those, but pulled people out of line if they were 4 or more.

We noticed the taxi drivers, which we used all weekend for transportaion to dinners etc. did not like having $5 fares.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Yes, taxis may be pain in San Francisco. The board of supervisors is deciding these days whether or not to put additional taxis in the streets. Maybe this will solve the $5 problem!

By the way, I travel alone, never had a problem getting on a shuttle. Sometimes, I had to wait in the van till it gets full, but this is how they work.

At night, if there are no other passengers, they take off without waiting, once there were only 2 of us in the shuttle, going to different areas of the city.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Just checked back after a few days and found some more of your suggestions. I now see there is no need to book a shuttle in advance.We will either take two taxis or the larger vans whichever is available when we arrive.We are staying the first night in the airport Marriott then picking up rental car at SFO next morning and driving to Carmel. We are staying in Tickle Pink Inn for two nights then back to San Francisco for three nights. Any suggestions on where to stop on way. What is the best winery to visit in Carmel area? How far away is Big Sur? Suggestions welcome.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:14 PM

You will love the Stanford Court.....take a van from the airport though. Also, ask for an interior room up high. The exterior rooms tend to be noisy because of the trolley right below. You are close to everything there! Your girls will love the shopping.........bring some walking shoes and get ready to exercise. Stanford Court hits atop a very very steep hill. Just down the hill toward Union Square in Sears Fine Dining.....have breakfast there atleast once!! Have a wonderful time.