Early Morning Transportation from San Francisco to SFO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having some problems finding a shuttle to go from the Union Square area of SF to SFO early on the morning of Tuesday September 7, 2004.

Our flight is at 7:15am and is flying to Toronto, ON which means that we need to be at the airport by 5:45am or so, but most companies don't seem to pick-up that early.

I've researched the companies listed on the SFO airport site, but it's not looking good.

Any suggestions Fodorites or are we going to be stuck taking a cab? Is it worth it to save a couple of dollars?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Try calling and asking the hotel where you'll be staying. Marriott made my reservations with a great shuttle company that was not even listed.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Try BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit). Look at their website.

Your closest station is Powell Street and it should take you to SF Int'l Airport.

There are plenty of trains between these two points and the trip should take about 1/2 hour.

You should be able to get a cab from your hotel to the Powell St station.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Have you tried SuperShuttle? This is the major shuttle service in the area and I do believe they have 24 hour service, as long as they are not fully booked at your date and time. You can book online at http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/sfo.htm or call 415-558-8500. If that doesn't work I'd second the BART idea - it is convenient. Schedule is at http://www.bart.gov/index.asp
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 10:18 AM
SAB

ultrviolet you can get BART at Powell leaving around 5:11 am which will get you to SFO by 5:42. If you don't have a massive amount of luggage that should work. It's hard to believe that Supershuttle is not running early, but I usually take a cab that early in the morning.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM

I just did the same trip from Oakland Airport to Powell St Bart Station and back to Oakland Airport. If you are staying around Union Square it is a short walk from th corner of Geary St and Powell, about 3 blocks to the Bart station.

The trains are very comfortable and it's so much easier taking public transit than a shuttle.

Have a great time. Lots of sales going on around Union Square now, so enjoy!!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

We're light packers, so the BART doesn't look like too bad an option and the Powell Street Station is apparently only a block from our hotel.

I had looked at Super Shuttle's website earlier and apparently they don't pick-up until 6am.

Thanks for the replies. We're looking forward to our trip.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 07:22 PM
SAB

Sounds like a good plan. Remember to check the BART schedule and leave enough time to get a ticket from the machines.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 05:31 AM

ultraviolet: I just e-mailed SuperShuttle to confirm that they have 24 hour pick-up and they confirmed that they do. I am not sure where you saw that there was no pick-up before 6 unless you were thinking of the line "Between 6:30 AM and 9:00 AM all drop-offs will be at the lower level." BART is a great option if you are near a station. I have, however, stayed with friends who were a fair distance from a BART station and have had to get to airport by 4:30 am for 6 am flight, so I do want people to know you can get shuttle service that early.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM

I would suggest buying your tickets for BART a day or so beforehand so you are not standing there with your luggage trying to figure out how to work the ticket machines. The area is a bit iffy safety-wise but once you are in the station you should be fine.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:12 AM

You might want to check with SupperShuttle again...I've been picked up in SFO several times well BEFORE 5:00 AM in order to connect with 6:00 AM flights to the East Coast.