SF-YOSEMITE-CARMEL/MONTEREY

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 06:56 AM
don

SF-YOSEMITE-CARMEL/MONTEREY

I am planning a trip for next April that I am planning as an anniversary gift. I was thinking of flying into the San Francisco area, driving to Yosemite where we would spend a couple of nights. Then we would spend a couple of nights in the Carmel/Monterey area before spending the last four nights in San Francisco. Woould this be a decent time of year wheather-wise for traveling through that area, as well as for the destinations? Any suggestions on where to stay or great out-of-the-ordinary restaurants?

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Dick

Don, this same trip has been asked many, many, times on this board. Do a Fodors search with your header.

One thing you should consider; fly into Fresno rather than San Francisco. You are only about two hours to Yosemite from the airport. Then fly out of San Francisco. It might cost a little more, but it would be more than worth it, believ me.

Dick

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:34 AM
JMM

We did a trip very similar to this several years ago and it is a fantastic itinerary. Mountains in Yosemite,magnificent coast line at Carmel/Monterey (Dont miss the aquarium at Monterey).

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:38 AM
BillJ

don: I can tell you this, April is one of the most glorious months in Yosemite. The tourist crowds have not yet arrived, and the falls are roaring, rivers raging from snow melt. April/May is our favorite time in Yosemite. Make sure you stay in the Valley (Ahwanee would be my recommendation for the anniversary occassion) to fully appreciate the park's granduer. It can still be a bit cold, but it is beautiful.
I'm not sure I agree with flying into Fresno. Not that many direct flights into Fresno (Exception: AA from DFW), and by the time you make a connection in SFO or LAX, you could have driven, especially from SFO. Fresno is not known for featuring low fares. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:57 AM
barb

I took this trip a couple of years ago. Flew to SF, stayed at the Travel Lodge on the warf; great location for shopping, getting the ferry across the bay, eating, getting both cable cars to city, night life. Highly recommend this location. Went to Yosemite by Amtrak which was very nice and quick. Renting a car for the drive along the coast is simple, or taking Gray Line tours and not having to drive at all. Great trip,

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Utahtea

While you have no guarentees on the weather at any time, April is my favorite time of the year for Yosemite.

Utahtea

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:33 PM
seamus

What the hell's a warf?????

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Susan

What about that same trip, but in late September? Will it be too cool at that time of year? We would like to spend time by the ocean swimming?

Thanks

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:21 PM
kam

Susan, September should be glorious weather but the ocean is always too cold for swimming in northern CA. That's one of the biggest misconceptions about the state. You might swim in San Diego or south of LA, but not up here in the north unless you want to do the wetsuit thing.