Search

SF to LV end of October... What do you think about my plan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF to LV end of October... What do you think about my plan

SanFransisco to LV end of October - please have a look at my trip

This is my first post in this forum and our second time to USA - we love the country and the people.
We did our first family trip to Florida 3 years ago and have been wanting to come back and have saved since then for this trip. We are a family of 4 with a teenager and a 9 year old.
Please have a loop at what I have planned ( or not planned )
Arrive in SF - 3 nights
Drive to Yosemite -stay 2/3 nights
Drive to Lake Tahoe as have read that the Tiago pass would be closed that time of the year. Stay for 2 nights
Drive to mammoth falls - 1 day
Drive to Death Valley - 1 day
Las Vegas - 1 day
Grand Canyon - 2 days
Las Vegas - 1 day
Fly back to London .

We would like to do self catering/ buy food from supermarket wherever possible as intend to keep the cost down, but would like to have meals in the hotel now and then.
Please let me know if this plan is workable or is there a any other alternative?
Would also really appreciate for places to stay on the way as well please.
Any practical tips - what should we bring from UK, have read that it is a good idea to buy a cool box to keep drinks and food while travelling.
Kids would love pool every now and then if possible, husband does not want to stay in camps. Other than this we don't have any other preference.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:39 PM

Welcome to Fodors,

October is a very busy time in many of the parks, so finding lodging in/near them will be difficult. I would try to get that arranged asap. If you call the parks for in park lodging and they say they are full, call back frequently as people make reservations a year in advance and cancel when they find they can't make it, so keep trying.

I would drive from Death Valley right to grand canyon and avoid Las Vegas with a child.

Buy an inexpensive cooler and get ice where you stay and keep drinks, snacks etc.

In some of the more remote areas, fill your gas tank when it gets to half.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 02:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Consider reversing the order of the trip flying to Las Vegas first then going to Grand Canyon (South Rim) then to Death Valley. If the Tioga Pass is still open, go to Yosemite. If not, go to Lake Tahoe.
Good luck on finding budget priced accommodations in either Yosemite or in San Francisco.
There are several hotels in Las Vegas with great pools.
I like the one at the Golden Nugget where the slide goes through the shark tank.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 05:51 PM

I agree with Malloy, skip Las Vegas. If your flight is out of Vegas , you might want to limit LV to your night before departure to just get "the feel" of LV. The whole family would probably more enjoy that extra day allocated in Death Valley.
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Tom you failed to explain why there would be an advantage to reversing the order of the trip.

?????
Old Jun 7th, 2017, 10:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Tom you failed to explain why there would be an advantage to reversing the order of the trip. everyone to rent their cars in Las Vegas, not in CA.

Chrestomanci: Can we assume you've already booked your flights in to SFO and out of Vegas?

Your basic itinerary is a little rushed but definitely doable.

>>Drive to Lake Tahoe as have read that the Tiago pass would be closed that time of the year. Stay for 2 nights>Drive to mammoth falls - 1 day
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 07:18 AM

Tioga Pass closing dates https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm There can also be temporary weather closures before the season closure.

Midweek is easier to find Yosemite accommodations. Normally I'd recommend staying in the valley but there are no self catering options. There are some cabin rentals available in Yosemite West https://www.scenicwonders.com/

Tahoe and Mammoth Lakes will be quiet at that time of year so you shouldn't have trouble finding accommodations.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 10:43 AM

When you make your reservations make ones you can cancel - in other words do not prepay. Most places will let you cancel with advance notice, anywhere from same day to 24, 48 and 72 hours, this will be in the terms and conditions on their websites.
You can buy cheap styrofoam coolers or slightly more expensive ones like Igloo in most chain drugstores like CVS or Walgreen.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 11:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts on starting from LV were the cheaper rental car and getting to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley before the closure of Tioga Pass.
It is also much easier to get in and out of the Las Vegas airport than SFO or LAX in my opinion.
There are also flights from LAS to Fresno (FAT) if the pass is closed.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 12:01 PM

getting to the Grand Canyon and Death Valley before the closure of Tioga Pass

I'm confused as to how that helps with Tioga Pass. Reversing the itinerary would have them crossing the Sierras about the same time.
Old Jun 8th, 2017, 01:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>My thoughts on starting from LV were the cheaper rental car
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Apologies for posting and coming back..
Really not sure what happened there..been on holiday and back, we had a fabulous time.
This is what we did - SF to Yosemite, flew from Fresno to Las Vegas and hired a car and went out to Grand Canyon, monument valley, Bryce Canyon and Zion.
Had a fabulous time.. will lurk around various threads now as we can’t have another holiday for at least two years due to various commitments.
Many thanks for all your suggestions
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 05:16 PM

Isn't Zion wonderful? Such a shame that the current administration wants to allow fracking at Zion and mining in the Grand Canyon.

I'm glad you saw them both before the fall.
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:13 PM

>>Such a shame that the current administration wants to allow fracking at Zion and mining in the Grand Canyon.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 06:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stu,

After receiving intense opposition from just about all quarters, the BLM backed off on placing the Zion parcels in the September 2017 leasing auction. (Two of the parcels straddled the stream that flows into Virgin River.) But they haven't eliminated those parcels and others also very near the park from future evaluation/consideration.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/n...national-park/

Uranium mining near Grand Canyon has been allowed for decades, although many mines have been non-operational for several years recently. But uranium prices have been going up, so operations are resuming under obsolete rules even as recent studies have reflected the serious levels of contamination that exist and are predicted to increase. Trump isn't to blame for the economics of the uranium market, but not surprisingly his administration has no interest in re-visiting the mining regulations in light of current scientific information.

https://www.grandcanyontrust.org/uranium
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM

I read the oil article
Both Debbie and Stu are wrong.

It is not-NOT at/in Zion but west of Zion near/north the town of Virgin.

None is this is new. Oil was discovered there in 1907 by Pat Holoham. Drilling started almost immediately with two wells. By 1944, there were 60 exploratory wells. Overall, 140 wells were drilled down to 1,400 feet. None economically practical.
If you drive on Kolob road north, the capped well are still visible from the road.

Uranium - Stu is right about former mining in the canyon. Ore was processed near Tuba City where 3,000 tons of residual dangerous trailings were abandoned from 800,000 tons of processed ore. It now remains covered. It was a tragedy for both the Hopi and Navajo people who worked at the processing plant without any protection.

The mining ban was issued in 2012. I know of no changes to that 20 year ban. Maybe Hillary sold those mining rights to Russia and that may be the conflict.

Vaga

Len