SF, Sonoma, Monterey itinerary help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would love some advice on our trip itinerary. We are 2 couples in 30's looking to relax, see the scenery, maybe hike a little, eat great food and visit some vineyards. We'll have an infant along for the ride, but she doesn't require special entertainment yet and will be happy as long as she gets to stretch her legs regularly. One of us is expecting and can't drink, so we have a built in designated driver.

We arrive late Wednesday August 27th and depart mid-afternoon on September 4th. That gives us 7 full days.

2 of us have already spent time in San Fran, so we don't want to spend too much time there. Here's what we are thinking:

2 days in SF (Wed. night-Sat am)
2 days in Monterey/Santa Cruz (Sat am-Mon am)
3 days in Sonoma County (Mon-Thurs am)

Am I giving too many days to wine country? Should I move one of those days to Monterey/Carmel/Santa Cruz? Less time in SF?

Thank you!!!!

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

The Monterey Plaza Hotel is a nice place to stay in Monterey. ***kim***
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM

Have you booked your accommodations in Monterey/Santa Cruz? Labor Day weekend is maybe the worst time to visit that area. That will be your determining factor.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Haven't booked hotels yet. We know Labor Day will be crowded wherever we go. Do you recommend another location?
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM

You might like to consider vacation rentals rather than hotels, esp.if you have a baby along. It will give you more space and the ability to prepare some food/bottles etc. They will also allow you to not have to worry as much about the baby making any noise. Many also are child friendly and have yards/gardens where she can move around.
Old Jul 24th, 2008, 11:03 PM

If I were you, I'd book a hotel in SF for Sat and Sun and go to Monterey/Carmel/Pacific Grove, etc during the week.

The city is a ghost town on three day weekends. Most everyone will be up at Burning Man, or Tahoe, or the Wine Country, or Mendocino, or the Monterey Peninsula.

We have often stayed in SF over Memorial Day and have always been able to get good deals. Labor Day should be similar. Check it out.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

supercilious, thanks for the tip! We've revised our plans accordingly.

Our flight arrives at 11pm on a wednesday, so we are just planning to spend that night at a hotel close to the airport. Pick up a car the next morning and drive south on 101 to Santa Cruz/Monterey/Carmel. Will return to SF Saturday morning and stay until Monday morning, then head up to Sonoma for 3 nights.
Old Jul 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
dmlove

If you want breakfast suggestions near the airport, let me know.