Feedback on My California Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone - Can you give me some feedback on my 5 1/2 day itinerary in California? Not sure if I'm packing too much in or if this is all feasible. I haven't decided on hotels in each area either, so any advice you might have on that would be appreciated. I can't thank my fellow Fodorites enough for all of your great advice...Thanks - Laura

Day 1, 2, 3 - San Francisco - stay in Union Square??
Day 4 - leave early for drive down Highway 1 and stay overnight in Carmel (with possible stop through Monterey - can I squeeze in some time in Monterey if I still want to get to Carmel in time to check out the sites there?)
Day 5 - Wake up early and check out some sites in Big Sur - leave by around 4PM or so to get to San Simeon before dark (how much can I really see of Big Sur with this timeframe in mind?)- overnight in San Simeon
Day 5 1/2 - Early morning tour of Hearst Castle - need to be in Santa Barbara by 3-4PM or earlier if possible - will this be cutting it too close? Not sure how long the drive from San Simeon to SB will take.

Thanks everyone!!
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:34 AM

Sounds pretty good to me.

In SF - Union Square is pretty good, central location close to public transportation.

Monterey/Carmel - they are basically next to each other so it is easy to see them both. SF to Monterey is only a couple hours straight through so you will have time to see stuff.

Big Sur - one day through is fine for an overview. You will have plenty of time to do a bit of hiking, picnicing, and sightseeing.

Hearst Castle to Santa Barbara is about 2.5 to 3 hours, so as long as you are on the road by noon, you will make it no sweat.
Old May 12th, 2005, 11:10 AM
SAB

SF to Monterey is a couple of hours IF you don't take Highway 1 the entire way. Carmel is not that large so you can easily see it and some of Monterey, especially if you don't go window shopping on Ocean Ave.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:53 PM
SAB

FYI most people who visit Hearst stay in Cambria-if you put that in the search box you will find lots of lodging recommendations. Hard to give lodging recommendations for SF or Carmel w/o knowing budget, taste and make up of party. Union Square is a good central location for SF; personally like staying in southern Carmel, away from the shops and restaurants and I like the Mission Ranch which is next to the Mission; others like the Tickle Pink in the Carmel Highlands; others like places near Ocean Ave. Again if you put Carmel in the search box you will see lots of suggestions.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:39 PM

>>SF to Monterey is a couple of hours IF you don't take Highway 1 the entire way.<<

Also, if you leave SF early on a work day and take 101 or 280 instead of CA #1, you will hit a "monster" of a cummute traffic backup. If you leave early like you plan, it might not take any more time on the scenic #1, than 101 or 280 - but it will take longer than 2 hours, like SAB indicated.

Stu Dudley