SF Restaurant near Union Square and Weather

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in staying at the Warwick Regis in Union Square next Friday and Saturday nights as well as the following Sunday night. Have reservations at Gary Danko and Slanted Door already. Am looking for something fun/casual/not over the top pricey for the day we arrive, hopefully within walking distance of the hotel. Have seen good recommendations for Aziza and Limon, but not sure if they're close or not. Any suggestions? Also what are women wearing this time of year???long pants and closed toe shoes or capris and sandals?? I'm in Boston and it's hot!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:40 AM

Scala or Kuleto should fill the restaurant bill.

Women in SF wear pretty much what women wear in Boston; however, weather in SF in unpredictable. You can't go wrong with long pants and closed toe shoes. Bring layers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:58 AM

Recommend getting to Gary Danko ahead of your reservation. When we went, the place was so loud that, after perusing the menu, we left.

Highly recommend Boulevard. Was a bit loud as well, but nothing like the din at Gary Danko, where seating was much, much closer.

It will be chilly when the sun goes down, and probably very breezy. Recommend a warm jacket and closed shoes, especially if you plan to ride the cable cars at night (and you should).
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 09:04 AM

T-shirt, light sweater, windbreaker - and you are ready for SF.

As for bottoms, I see mostly capris and sneakers during the day, long pants at night.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:24 AM

I second Scala or Kuleto. I just ate at Scala on Sunday night, and I sat at the bar with 5 women on a girlfriend getaway. Big fun! Bartender Adrean Rodriguez is great (check out the jewelry that he makes himself).
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:46 AM

You might want to consider one of the French restauants like Plouef off MAiden LAne off Union Square (concierge could help)

or seafood Farrallon or
sitting at teh bar at Wolfgang Pucks restaurant is fun...
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM

Plouf is one of my faves, but on a Friday it may be hard to get in. Go early....
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 03:53 PM

For fun, casual, not-over-the-top-pricey the day you arrive, I suggest Cortez in the Adagio Hotel on Geary. Your hotel is at 490 Geary, Cortez is at 550 Geary. How is that for walking distance?

We love this restaurant. It serves small plates, so that you can order different things and share. The decor is classy but hip, the wait staff as well, and young and very fun and helpful. The choices are varied and very interesting.

Try it, you'll like it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM

I prefer Scala to Kuleto, but both are good. The gnocci at Scala is melt-in-your-mouth heavenly.
Even more casual, small and a local favorite is Fino, about a block or so west of Union Square.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:08 PM

The high temp in SF today was barely 60 degrees, and the highs next week are forecast to be in the high 50s to low 60s, with evening temps in the low 50s. It could be overcast and windy. I'd want to wear something fairly cozy, but if you're cold you can buy a sweatshirt on almost any SF corner. Many vendors sell them on the street to freezing visitors.

Second the Plouf recommendation, especially if you like mussels. Book early. You'll have the option to eat outside.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.belden-place.com

it's an alleyway lined with a number of wonderful fun restaurants in the financial district.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM

we loved gary danko, Food and service were fantastic.