packing SF

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
packing SF

I've read all of the posts on packing and know that we need to layer our clothing but I still have a few questions.

I normally don't dress "touristy" in t-shirts, blue jeans and tennis shoes. (That may change for this trip because of foot problems.) Some posts suggest dressing for summer with sweaters &/or jackets. Another post suggests no capri pants(which is what we wear in the south). I don't think that we will be going out to dinner at any fancy places because we have other things booked. (Alcatraz tour, baseball game)

To get to the point, would I look out of place with lightweight jean cut pants in white or bright colors or light colored casual pants (parachute style capri pants)? This is something that I would never pack for NY or Europe, and it sounds like it would be the same for SF. I'm afraid that regular blue jeans may get warm mid day. And if I don't wear tennis shoes, I could buy some kind of comfortable sandal (other than the cute little flip flop type that we wear in the south.) I'd rather the "casual tourist" look than the "stick out like a sore thumb" look.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM

YOu will be fine in anything in SF. Dress for comfort if you don't plan to do fine dining. You'll be ok in jeans or capri pants anywhere casual. SF is a very diverse, colorful place. Tennis shoes or sandals will be absolutely fine. A windbreaker or jacket will be essential.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I agree with the above post. Most people, especially tourists, dress very casual for SF. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM
baybee510

amberkat,

You can wear anything you want in SF. It was pretty warm the past week but now it's cooling down so be sure to remember to pack the light jacket/windbreaker. Not sure when you're going but SF hardly gets so warm that you wouldn't be comfortable in jeans during the day. Don't worry about "sticking out," SF is filled with tourists. You'll be doing a lot of walking, up and down hills so you must bring the tennis shoes. The only thing that tourists make the mistake of doing is not dressing for the fog and wind.

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Dress for comfort.Things are pretty casual given what you say you'll be doing. Bring a windbreaker or sweater. It's foggy here now(thank god) and can be chilly until the "marine layer" burns off.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:16 PM

I can't resist this......no white shoes.

Don't ask me why but for years and years that has been a "rule". We could always tell when visitors were from Sacramento by their white shoes.

Anybody...is this out of date, or still the case? <grin>

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Neopolitan

We're leaving for SF next Saturday and I was looking at the weather there. Since I'm from Florida I'm thinking I need to pack sweaters, a parka, gloves, wool scarf, ski cap, long underwear, wool socks, and a windbreaker.

What did Mark Twain say again?

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Actually, that's one of the most famous things that Mark Twain didn't really say.

But Napoleon, your list is a little misleading. I get by fine with just a sweater at most. Unless you're walking across the GG Bridge. Then you will be cold.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Neopolitan

Well maybe HE never said, but I can paraphrase. "The coldest winter I ever spent was an August in San Francisco" -- 1995 to be exact. Thought we'd freeze before noon every day.
I'm not complaining by the way. I could really use some of that!

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Hi Neo, SF does have microclimates. North Beach does tend to be warmer and sunnier. The Financial District can be chilly especially later in the afternoon as the sun drops due to the tall buildings. Market St., can get chilly and have wind whip through it.

Gloves and scarves are not necessary, but do bring a jacket and a sweater. In that you are from Florida the weather will be different of course as you know. May one pair of silk longjohns?
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will be in SF next weekend!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Casual is perfectly fine in San Francisco. But do bring along a jacket or layers of some sort. More than anyplace in the world I have ever been, the temps in SF can change with the turn of a street corner.