Search

SF: Farmers Market

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2004, 06:20 AM
ChatNoir

SF: Farmers Market

Anybody have any rants or raves or good to know stuff about this place?

Interested in best time to visit, visit duration, nearby sights/attractions I could combine with it, and how to get there via public transportation.

Are there similiar outdoor markets that might be worth a visit?

Old May 8th, 2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChatNoir, did you happen to see this website that briefly describes three markets in SF?:

http://www.sftravel.com/farmer.html

It looks like you would have some choices. I don't know anything about the individual doing the "grading", but it's a starting point. (I love farmers' markets, too!)
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:43 AM

It is a very good farmer's market. Lots of organic produce and some very unique high-end (for lack of better word) food products. If you are a chef be sure to check out Sur La Table inside (it is a chain--pos. a West Coast chain). Great kitchen products!! Saturdays are the day to go!
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:08 PM
kdm

Some friends and I were there one Saturday, when they two of them notice and went up to Chef Mario Batali. He had his camera folks with him and told them he was cooking for Carol that day. I just thought I would throw that in...I bought some vegetables that last so long and were wonderful by the time I got around to cooking them. So far it is my favorite.

We got there on a Saturday when if first opened so it was still earily enough to take a long walk to Fisherman's Wharf, where we had lunch and spent the day. However, we did take the trolley back to our cars.
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:15 PM

KDM, who's Carol?
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:53 PM

The farmers market and Ferry building are really fun to walk around for an hour or 2. The views are spectacular and if you need a good cheeseburger after shopping for fruits and veggies, Taylor's Automatic is there.
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM

The Farmers Market was a fun place to walk thru. We were there last May when they first opened, and not all the shops were filled. We certainly didn't need any fruit & vegetables to take back to NJ, but like any other market place, they had booths you could taste, and snack, and maybe buy a jar of jelly or dip they have for sale.
Old May 10th, 2004, 03:43 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggested website. This one is going on our list of fun things to do.

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Which one? the sunday market in the civic center? the one at Embarcadero? or the oldest one somewhere at 280 and 101 highways?

See, instead of doing my own search of Portland I type useless lines... oh, well, I'm at work anyway...

Chat, the public trasportation advice depends on where you're coming from. If you're in Embarcadero area (and this is what everybody assumed) it's just across the street (or is it boulevard?)
Old May 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
kdm

Grasshopper, Carol was with Mario while he was getting to shop and film. I believe he was planning to cook for at her home. He was just so approachable that when my friends went over and said "Hi" you would have thought they were old friends.