seward/anchorage qs

May 28th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

seward/anchorage qs

Will be traveling to Seward via cruiseship, arriving July 29. Leaving 31st via the train. We will not have a car and would prefer to stay at a b & b. We need suggestions on a place we could stay within walking distance and how to get to most sites without having a car(Sealife, Exit Glacier, Fjords tour, Itidaride Dog Sled tour, kayaking). Also, is it possible to book tours a day in advance or is it better to book online or call before we get to Alaska?

From Seward, we will be taking train July 31-staying in Anchorage 31st and Aug. 1, then flying home. Any suggestions on accomodations in Anchorage again, not having any car? Best transport to airport (our flight leaves at 6 AM! on Aug.2)? Is it possible to get to the zoo and Heritage site via public transportation?

And finally, is buying a toursaver book worthwhile in light of our short time in Alaska and the things we will be doing?

Thanks for all help!
May 28th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Exit Glacier is not accessible by public transportation. It is several miles outside of Seward. It's really worth the trip and is a great place for day hikes.
I'd really recommend getting a car...
May 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I, too recommend a car. You would love the walk to Exit Glacier.
You will miss out on so much if you don't rent a car.
May 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM

usually the cruise ships have special deals going with the downtown Anchorage hotels. I have stayed at both the Marriott and the Hilton and much preferred the Marriott.
May 29th, 2007, 12:23 PM

You can get by in Seward without a car, but a cab back and forth Exit Glacier can run up to $50. Also everything else is walkable, with no mobility limitations as the Sealife Center and depot are over a mile apart. Plenty of lodging available. www.seward.com

Overall, I think it is FAR more necessary to have a car in Anchorage. You will be extremely limited otherwise, it is a big spread out city if you have any interest outside of downtown.

Only rental available in Seward is Hertz. You might want to reserve something at this time, then cancel if needed. Cars are in very short supply here.
May 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your input! You've convinced me that it would be well worthwhile to rent a car. Now, two more choices. Cruise is not booked yet. Could take cruise Sat-Sat., with Princess and arrive Whittier, pay for a transfer, then rent car in Anchorage and R/T to Seward,(would have 5-days in Alaska to drive around) or take HAL Sun. to Sun. and rent car in Seward, drive one-way to Anchorage. (Having 4 days to drive around). Seward Hertz quoted me $1.08/day, unlimited mileage for total of $511.23 for four days. Any suggestions for best route to take?
May 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM

I would take HAL, since it makes slightly better use of your time. If you leave day two, overnight in Talkeetna, then 2 nights at Denali Park- back to Anchorage assuming late night flight home?? You hit the highlight areas and get a good mix of touring.
May 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

My son (13 yrs.) and I have so far booked HAL, Sun-Sun, and 2 nights at the Ballaine B&B Sun and Mon. We also have a one-way car reservation made with Hertz for 4 days, but could cancel if not all days needed. We would like to take fjords cruise, see Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, Iditaride Dog sled tour and take kayak trip with Sunnycove to Fox Island. I have a car booked with Hertz one-way to Anchorage. Then would like to drive back possibly spending Tues. at another B&B somewhere along the way to Anchorage, possibly taking a Kenai float trip, Crow Creek Mine tour, Glacier Bay Visitor Center, Wildlife Conservation Center and Heritage Center in Anchorage. We fly out 6 AM! on Thursday. Is it possible to do all the things we are thinking of doing? Are we missing something worthwhile that would interest my son and I or should we omit something? What kind of time-frame would you suggest for what to do, when to start car rental? Thanks again!
Jun 1st, 2007, 04:38 AM

Exit glacier guides has a $9.00 RT shuttle service and Ididaride will provide transport from various locations.
Jun 1st, 2007, 05:44 PM

Do you have 4 days total or 6??
In Seward, both the Kenai Fjords boat trips and the Fox Island kayak, take up most of a day each. The Sealife Center and Exit Glacier, can be visited in the evening. You would have to see if Seavey's could do a morning tour on your last day perhaps??

I would not be going back and forth to Anchorage, not sure if that is what's posted?? You could do a raft trip in the afternoon of Seward departure and stay in that area. Next day- do Portage Glacier Visitor Center, Wildlife preserve, mine and continue to Anchorage for the Heritage Center- you need an early start, since it closes at 5pm and needs at least a couple hours there.

You do not really need the car for the two days in Seward. I would book the Kenai Fjords boat tour for your arrival day, if you have no mobility limitations, you could got to the Sealife Center upon return? Or see how late the shuttle runs to Exit Glacier?
Next day, if doing Kayaking, you won't need the car then either, Seavey's had shuttles for their tours.

So you may want to look at picking up the car on your day of departure, then you get full benefit of the 24 hour rental clock since you have such an early departure flight. I would stay right near the airport, plenty of hotels.
Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great suggestions!

To answer your question, we arrive early Sunday and have to fly home early Thurs., so really only 4 days to see things.

I'm a little confused with car rental. Sun. do fjord tour, Mon. kayak, Sealife and Exit in the evenings, dogsled on Tues. and then rent car to leave Seward. Rafting that afternoon, overnight nearby. Wed. drive highway to see everything and end up at Heritage Village. Leave Thurs., to airport by 4:30 or so AM. You mention the 24 hour rental use of car. If we have it from Tues. afternoon until we get to airport 4:30 or so AM on Thurs. how can that be considered 24 hours? Thanks so much for all your help!
Jun 3rd, 2007, 04:14 AM

My 24 hour suggestion, is only to take advantage of it and not go over by a couple hours and paying for an extra day. With your early departure, I would see if you can do the dog sled tour- on Monday, since they provide shuttles. Then pick up your car 8am Tues, and drive yourself to Exit Glacier the Sealife Center. If you can get a late afternoon raft tour- definately better. Allow an hour for the Seward/Cooper Landing drive. This isn't a big area, so also get your lodging set.