SEPTA in Philly

Jun 11th, 2008, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

SEPTA in Philly

Hello,

It looks like taking the SEPTA from the Philly airport to our hotel downtown is the easiest and cheapest mode of transport, but I can't tell if I am going to be taking a subway or train. What exactly is it? Are there long stairways to get down to the trains, turnstyles like many big citie subway systems? Will we be able to navigate fairly easily with rolling suitcases and backpacks?

Please help me understand what to expect. We would travel from the airport to the Market St. Eas terminal.

Clueless here! Thanks for clueing me in.
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:17 AM

I assume you mean the R1. It's a commuter train. I have never taken it to our from the Airport, and hopefully someone who has will chime in, but the Market East Station DOES have a fairly impressive set of stairs/escalator up from the platform, and depending on the exit, more to get out to street level. It's also attatched to a shopping mall, which can make the question of which exit a little exciting. They do not have turnstiles.
It might not be my first choice with small children and lots of luggage, but normally Regional Rail is fine. Depending on what they charge, you might think a car service or shuttle was worth it.
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:35 AM

It's pretty easy, but it only leaves every half hour. I generally take it when I am near a departure time but take a shared van when I would have to wait more than 15 minutes.

Again, probably not optimal with lots of luggage.
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Jed

It is a train, not a subway, and there are no turnstiles. About the Market East station, to get from the train exit to the street, there are 2 escalators, and a few doors. That's it.

If you are able to take your luggage on regular escalators, go for it.

The SEPTA site shows a handicapped logo, so there probably is an elevator if you need it.
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:57 AM

My wife and I took the Septa R1 train from the airport to Market St. It is very convenient as it is right outside baggage claim on a platform. It is a train, not a subway and there is plenty of room for luggage. It does only run every half hour but considering the convenience and cost it is worth the wait.The market St. station has escalators to get up to street level and the station is in easy walking distance of many hotels if you don't mind dragging luggage a few blocks.Septa has it's own web site so check it out.
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:21 AM

I can confirm that yes Market Street station has elevators too. I used the R1 a couple of weeks back from the airport to downtown.
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
yk

Chiming in - agree w/others. It is very easy, and there are escalators at the airport station.

It is the R1 SEPTA train. It is never that crowded, so you can even leave your suitcase in your next seat.
Jun 11th, 2008, 03:52 PM

The R1 regional train actually leaves during peak hours every 20 minutes. Off hours it is about a 30 minute time between trains.

At the airport, there is an elevator or one flight of stairs that takes you down 1 level to get to the SEPTA stop.

When you get off at Market East, you can use the escalator to get upstairs from the train platform. From the next level, you can either take the elevator or one of several escalators up to street level.

There are no turnstyles at either the airport or Market East. Very simple with rolling suitcase or backpack - even oversized ones.

Do not bother with a shuttle van service - especially if you are travelling with someone else. They tend to drop any passengers staying outside of Center City off first, and then get to Center City dead last. It will take forever. If you don't feel like taking SEPTA, you might as well take a taxi - it is a flat fare between the Airport and Center City (approximately $25.00 plus tip).
Jun 12th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Great information! I have been to the SEPTA website, not getting my questions answered. That's why I turned to you all. Thanks for your first hand help and reliability in helping out fellow travelers!

We just may use the SEPTA train.