COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Selling airline tickets

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Sonya Semple

Selling airline tickets

My friend asked me if I would find out if there was a way to sell frequent flyer tickets that would otherwise have to be turned in because of a change in plans. Can someone tell me what can be done? Thanks

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 04:53 PM
J

you can usually re-deposit the miles for $50 fee or so. has your friend checked on that? since you can't change the names on a ticket, I don't think you can sell them, right?

Old Dec 19th, 2002, 08:14 PM
fran

Tickets can only be used by the person in whose name the ticket is issued. This applies to purchased tickets or frequent flyer tickets. Your friend can redeposit his miles for a fee.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Jim Rosenberg

You're getting good advice here and your friend needs to handle this directly with the airline. Selling or bartering FF awards will void the tickets and the account that they came from, if it is discovered by the airline.

The one alternative to re-depositing might be if your friend has an alternate itinerary that the tickets could be used for. In the past, some airlines have allowed these tickets to be changed without a fee. Still, this is a long shot and it's necessary to have open seats on the new flights for FF awards to be switched to. New policies with many carriers make it difficult to change almost anything about most tickets without a fee being attached.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Dick

Jim,

There is one exception...Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards vouchers are transferrrable to anyone you want. It is against their policy, though, to sell them.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 06:32 AM
TravelPro

Airline tickets are totally non transferrable.With todays security requirements,airline tickets,government issued identification must match,letter for letter.Yes, tickets of all sorts have been sold/traded/bartered etc etc.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:17 PM
cherine

Since it costs $100/ticket to redeposit, it seems these tickets could be sold and if e-tickets, re-issued to the new party without any delay. I don't know, but because of the high cost of redepositing and high air fares it would make sense.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 07:29 PM
xx

cherine, you're in over your head.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 05:07 AM
just

Cherine, after that last comment of yours, I suggest you post anonymously from now on. You are so far off base!

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 07:20 AM
TravelPro

Cherine
"Redeposit" is something you do in banking,with say a check.The enitre concept of deposit has nothing to do with an airline ticket.The fee to CHANGE an airline ticket in most cases a discounted ticket is $100.Officially, the airline involved is the issuing carrier.As stated above in other postings,airline tickets are NON TRANSFERRABLE.That means that only the person named on the ticket,who is the traveller, can use the ticket.The airlines issue the tickets, therefore they will enforce their own rules.Airline tickets are NOT like tickets to sporting events.

Old Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:06 PM
aaa

The entire concept of "deposit" may have nothing to do with airline tickets but it has a lot to do with frequent flyer points !!