Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seeking advice or recommendations for self-catering rental in LA for family wedding

Search

Seeking advice or recommendations for self-catering rental in LA for family wedding

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

6 adult family members (3 couples) plus one baby will be travelling from Ireland to Los Angeles to attend a wedding July 5th. We would like to check out the possibility of renting a house all together for about a week instead of staying in a hotel. The wedding is in downtown LA (Oviatt Building, Olive Street). I presume renting near here is unlikely but what about within, say, 30 mins drive away?

We would be looking to save some cost with this so are not looking for super-luxury rental - just a good sized comfortable family home with three bedrooms and a couple of bathrooms. I guess a pool would be nice, though!

Any tips eg websites, personal recommendations, areas to stay or helpful comments on this plan welcome. Thank you!

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry - I can't personally help you since I live in Northern California and have never rented in LA. But just a couple of comments. "Self Catering" isn't a term used widely in the States. Folks who have traveled much to the UK will know exactly what your title means. But those who haven't been out of the states may think you are looking for caterering companies or some such.

So if you don't get several good responses by say tomorow - I'd try to Re-post w/ a title something like "Need Vacation rental w/i reasonable drive of Downtown LA.

And for a general site w/ rentals all over, check out VRBO. I'm sure there will be sevral to choose from on there.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 11:04 AM

You are visiting during our July 4th week holiday. Think about staying near the beach, where you can walk to the ocean. Check out vrbo.com for one of the beach cities near LAX. We are located 19 miles from downtown LA, in Manhattan Beach, or try Hermosa or Redondo a few more miles away. You can catch the 105 Freeway to connect to downtown in off peak driving times with ease.

The area is very safe, cute area to walk around in town, restaurants, walking out on the Pier or boardwalk, etc.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your replies and tips. I'll probably try reposting in a day or so with 'vacation rental' in title. Names of areas to try on vrbo are very helpful, also. Any other locations or websites to recommend, anyone?
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

Try:
craigslist.org
Select Los angeles, then 'vacation rentals' under 'housing'
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
ltt

vrbo is a good website to try
p.s. - i personally think most people know that self-catering means you want a kitchen type place.
Old Feb 1st, 2007, 11:10 AM

If you check vrbo, then post here the areas where the ones you like are, I'm sure many Angelenos will comment on the area. I think the suggestion of the beach area is good ... Redondo, Manhatten and/or Hermosa.

Good Luck

Denice