Does ANYONE walk in LA?!

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Hel
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does ANYONE walk in LA?!

It's my huband and I's first trip to LA in a couple of weeks. We're really looking forward to it, but one thing is worrying me - does everyone drive everywhere? Whenever I see LA on TV, the roads are busy, but the sidewalks are empty. We love to stroll and explore places on foot, but it seems we as well have tourist stamped across our foreheads! Any feedback would be appreciated...
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:17 AM

I was born and raised in L.A. and the only time I saw people walking were the following areas: Rodeo Drive area in Beverly Hills, Westwood Village and some sections of Hollywood Blvd, specifically near Mann's Chinese Theater. I live in New Hampshire now, and I can honestly say that I see more people walking around here (even in the winter!) then in L.A. The problem with L.A. is that everything is spread out. It is a huge area, with none of the sites being in close proximity to one another. For a non-resident, I think the safest and most convenient way to go from place to place is via a rental car.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:28 AM

There are many good pedestrian areas in LA - but you have to drive between them. Hollywood by - Chinese Man Theater is one place + other parts of hollywood (see the stars on the sidewalk) . Santa Monica, and the promenade - also the pier. Venice beach is a great walk if you want somthing different. Rodeo Drive(but the rest of beverly hills is not really pedestrian friendly). - also downtown LA is somewhat pedestrian friendly - but theres really is nothing to see. I think Newport beach is also walkable
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:34 AM

There is no point in walking in LA as a visiting tourist.
No matter where you stay, you'll be miles and miles from other places you'll be visiting, unless you only have an interest in seeing one very small area (like downtown Beverly Hills).
You need to study a local map before you go, so you have an idea what you'll be dealing with.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 07:39 AM

You do need to drive to get to places of interest in LA, but of course, people walk once you're there. If you drive through Old Town Pasadena, you don't get to windowshop, stop for a beer etc. Of course, you get out and stroll. There are many parts of LA that are not interesting enough to get out and walk (as in most any city), so you simply decide in advance where you will go and then get out and enjoy.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 09:31 AM

There are lots of places to walk in LA, but as stated above, LA is very spread out and it is not possible to walk from one area of interest to another. What I've done before is drive to Hollywood, park, then walked around the area, before driving to Santa Monica, park, and walk around the pier and 3rd Street.

Once you get to an area you want to explore, you simply park and walk around. You have to remember that, unlike other cities, LA doesn't have a good, reliable public transit system that can get you from one area to another easily. Also, unlike more compact cities, LA is not only spread out, but it is usually the "larger LA area" that people are interested in, so you seldom actually remain "in" LA. For example: Beverly Hills is one city. Santa Monica another. Pasadena still antoher. They are all along the border of LA, but they are considered part of the "LA area". That is what makes "LA" so big.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:03 PM

I'm a walker! I always stay in West Hollywood near Sunset/LaCienega/Santa Monica Blvd. The people at the desk of the hotel never believe me when I say I've just walked to the movies and back at Century City in the afternoon or even to downtown Beverly Hills, or to Hollywood and Vine, but I do -- often. Of course, the walk to Century City is a good hour or more, usually longer because I manage to stop along the way at places in Beverly Hill. And although that area is filled with restaurants I'm always amazed that we seem to be the only people walking into them. Some people actually get in their car to drive to a 7-11 one block away!!!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:09 PM

People walk miles everyday..........on a treadmill!
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 02:45 PM

may i take this opportunity to beg you to please not believe everything you see on TV.

Old Apr 15th, 2003, 03:11 PM

LOL - they walk miles on the treadmill after circling the parking lot for 15 minutes to find a spot close to the building. Then they walk up 20 flights of stairs on the stairmaster after taking the elevator all day at work.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 05:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
J Correa, you crack me up! Okay, it's true, and I do laugh about it. Hel, we have loads of places to walk, fairly good sidewalks, generally lined with trees. I have the luxury of working a mile and a half from home. In summer, I spend most days riding my bike or walking, unless I need the car during the day (for professional reasons). We do NOT drive half a block to the store, unless it's the weekly grocery shopping.

Our neighborhood, West L.A., is great for walking and exploring, and you'll see plenty of people on the street, much more than there used to be.
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Hel
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your replies - got a lovely suprise when I checked back to see if I'd had any response yet. I feel a lot better equipped now to hit LA and have a great time. Thanks!
Old May 10th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Hel
Original Poster

Just back from LA and wanted to report that we had NO problems walking, we walked...and walked...and walked - for miles! Plus, we found the public transport suprisingly convenient and safe. In fact we now class the number 4 bus as a friend!
Old May 10th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Downtown is a very good area to walk. Take the subway to the Temple Station. Head up the hill to see the new cathedral(different but beautiful). Then on past the music center to the new Disney Concert Hall,amazing structure.
A few blocks more to the Modern Art Museum, then down the hill to Angels Flight, views of city hall, grand central market and the Biltmore Hotel.
Down Broadway through the Latino shopping and on to the Bradley Building and then Little Tokyo.
Old May 10th, 2003, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hel,
Glad you enjoyed yourself. Did your visit confirm our comments that we actually walk, or did you find it to be a lonesome journey?
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM

We are planning a trip to LA and San Diego in July. We'll stay 4 days in LA, probably 2-3 days for Disney and Universal Studio, 1 day for downtown and other places... As we won't drive there, could anyone tell me if it's convenient to take public transport aroung LA, especially with an eight-year-old girl. Is taking Greyhound the easiest way going to San Diego from LA?
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:09 AM

People in LA and SD rely on public transportation like the French government relies on their military.
Old May 11th, 2003, 04:59 PM

We have Farmer's Markets many days of the week that are fun to walk through - Santa Monica on Sat mornings, Beverly Hills Sun mornings, Westwood Thurs afternoons.

Try strolling Beverly Hills, Santa Monica Promenade, Pasadena including Norton Simon museum and gardens or go to the Huntington, Venice Beach, Montana Ave in Santa Monica, LA County Museum area (from La Brea tar pits to LACMA to Peterson Auto Museum to Farmer's Market for lunch, Dowtown through jewelry district and the Grand Central Market or the contemporary art museum, Public Library or to Olvera Street, Japantown and the train station.

There are plenty of places to walk and explore.
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Hel
Original Poster

Surfergirl,
Well, while the sidewalks weren't exactly what you would call crowded, we weren't the only ones walking - most of the time!
Mind you, we did comment on a number of occasions how the people speeding by us in cars were missing out so many wonderful sights. I was surprised by how lush and green a lot of LA is.