Seeing the Napali coastline on foot

Feb 24th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Seeing the Napali coastline on foot

How far would I have to walk past the last parking area to begin to see the Napali coastline? I can't do it all, but would really appreciate some estimate of the time and level of difficulty of doing just enough to be able to see the beginnings of the coastline.
Thanks in advance.
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM

If your intention is to "see" it, IMHO the Napali coastline is best seen from the water or air. If you want the hiking experience I can't help there.
Feb 24th, 2010, 12:33 PM

You can hike in a couple of miles to a fabulous beach--I don't remember the name of it. It is a beautiful hike almost the entire way. It is scenic and along the coast most of the way. I would highly recommend doing that. It is a good trail the whole way and not very steep.
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:04 PM

http://www.kalalautrail.com/info.htm
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM

I agree with hpeabody, that in order to get a view OF the Napali coastline, you must do so by helicopter or by boat. If you hike the trail from the last lot, you will be ON the coastline cliffs and on the trail, you will be surrounded by lush vegetation with occasional limited views of the ocean (not the coastline). Also, IMHO, the 1st two miles of the trail that goes to the secluded beach is unrelentingly steep, challenging, rocky, and slippery when wet. It may be the most difficult 2 miles you have ever walked. It's fun though to go as far as your fitness allows and then turn around and go back. Hiking the entire 22 round trip miles of the trail is only for the severely fit.
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM

I would say that you can see the coast after the first .75 mile and about 400 ft. elevation gain from the trailhead. If you have the legs you can hike to Hanakapi'ai beach which is two miles from the trail head. It's a hard hike but hundreds do it daily and most are not in prime condition. Just take it slow and turn around if you feel uncomfortable. Hiking shoes advisable maybe even a hiking pole.

You can walk 11 miles to kalalau beach. this is a world class backpack but you had better be in shape.

I have hiked to Hanakapi'ai and I've boated past Kalalau. Had a great time doing both. Beautiful land.

Bill
Feb 24th, 2010, 01:57 PM

Many years ago, we hiked in the first two miles, wearing hiking boots. People were scampering past us in bare feet. I don't recommend it, but it's been done!
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM

Jim, the Kalalau Trail starts from the parking lot at Kee Beach and is one way to get to the Napali Coast. I agree with sf7307 re difficulty.

You can also "see" the Napali Coast from Wiamea Canyon. Granted you won't have the same experience as if you hiked down into it but you will see beautiful vistas of both the Canyon and the coast...possibly all from your car.

At the end of Hwy 550, Wiamean Canyon Dr., you can pick up Pihea Trail. Walking a short distance you will be rewarded with a lookout. Check out this picture:

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/hiking_...pihea_hike.php

Trail Map from Hawaii State Parks:

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/hiki...cfm?hike_id=19

Wherever you go, don't forget your water and extra sunscreen...and camera! And check the weather before you go as the canyon can be socked in. The advantage you have staying in Poipu is that you can go to the North shore as easily as you can Wiamea Canyon.

Oh, and stop in Waimea and get a shave ice! Oh, and there is an Aunty Lilikoi's in Wiamea where you can get a piece of Lilikoi pie or jam! (Not my favorite)

http://www.auntylilikoi.com/
Feb 25th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ronda. You're a wealth of information!