Kalalau Trail and Grand canyon Trails

Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Kalalau Trail and Grand canyon Trails

Has anyone out there hiked the Bright Angel or other Grand Canyon trails as well as the Kalalau trail? I would like to hear any comparisons. We have hiked the Grand Canyon from the top to the river and back in a day. Can we do the same on the Kalalau?
Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:55 PM

i've not hiked bright angel or grand canyon but do hike to kalalau valley. it is possible to hike there and back in a single day, but i wouldn't recommend it b/c the first 2mi has more day hikers to hanakapiai and parts of the trail is very narrow. i'd say 2 days is good, 3 even better.

http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dsp/NaPali/na_pali.htm
Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:10 PM

you can hike the whole trail in a single day. i was looking at your post while typing, sorry. getting there at a steady pace is 2days.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM

My husband hiked down the South Kaibab and up Bright Angel but took 2 days--I only did partway down Bright Angel and back---wasn't into carrying my camping stuff.

Our favorite all time hike however, is the Nu'alolo/Cliffs Awa'awapuhi loop on Kauai--a wonderful day hike. The view from Lolo Vista was a "take your breath away" sight--so was this whole trail--and we only met up with about 6-8 people the entire day.

We only did the first 2 miles of the Kalalau and did it after the previous hike. Think we would have enjoyed it more had we done this hike first. Great views but there were a lot of people--we were spoiled from our earlier hike. I believe you need to apply for a permit to hike beyond the 2 mile marker.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

From the start of the Kalalau Trail to Kalalau Beach is 11 miles one-way! I have heard that it is possible to hike there in one day if you are in good shape, but I seriously doubt you would be able to hike back. Relatives did the entire trail and spent 2 nights, doing the entire route back in one day.

We did the 1st 2 miles of this trail in August along with the extra 2 miles to Hanakapi'ai Falls. The hike to the 1st beach was not too difficult, just very rocky so you really have to watch your footing. The 2nd two miles were much more difficult and seemed much farther. For reference, we are late 20's in very good shape and were pretty exhausted after this 8 mile hike. It took just over 4 hours round-trip, and that is only because we really busted it on the way back because we were so tired and hungry.

There have been several postings recently warning about the trail conditions. Several people have been injured lately on various parts of the trail. I would not recommend hiking it after any rain. Many parts of the hike to the falls were slippery and dangerous.

It is beautiful, though, and worth it in my opinion.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

LindainOhio ...

How would you compare the difficulty of the Nu'alolo/Cliffs Awa'awapuhi loop compared to the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail???

Also ... what time of year did you do it? (I'll be there in rainy January and I want fun -- not something slippery and treacherous.)

Thanks!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:18 PM

awa/nua will be drier than kalalau
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:57 AM

There have been some good links to poster's photos of Na Pali hikes, needless to say I didn't save them

Here's link to a short video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...63802491&hl=en

You won't catch me on narrow cliff paths like that !
Oct 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM

I did the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail -- and also the additional two miles (each way) to the waterfall. I found it VERY challenging -- and even more so when it poured, making the trails slippery. I appreciated the reminder that it would likely be less rainy on that side of the island.

How would you compare the difficulty of Nu'alolo/Cliffs Awa'awapuhi loop with the first two miles of Kalalau. Presuming they're not slippery, is one more stenuous than the other???

I'm looking for a beautiful, slightly challenging walk ... not a death-defying adventure. I could have been very seriously injured when I slammed face first into a rock while crossing an impossibly slippery stream en route to the waterfall.

It's amazing to me that more people don't get severely hurt or even killed on those trails -- and I don't even want to think about how difficult it would be to get someone out of there.
Oct 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM

imo, difficulty wise awa/nua is about the same as kalalau (only b/c the end of the trail makes me nervous looking back). you're going downhill about 1.5mi in the beginning then there's trees to keep you shaded then the trail meets nua. friends say different, that awa/nua is easier vs kala. i've also talked with visitors who say first 2mi of kalalau is more difficult than any trail on kauai.

checkout this analysis
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/pu.../NAH_study.pdf
Oct 5th, 2007, 06:28 PM

kauai_aka --

thanks so much for the link. That's an AWESOME resource!
Oct 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM

i'm glad. at least it gives you some idea.

Search this Thread