GTG in Chicago? How's the weather?

Feb 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

GTG in Chicago? How's the weather?

Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I've been so crazy busy! I'm going to be at a conference in Chicago from Feb 28-March 4. Anyone going to be in Chicago at that time? I'm going to be with 2-3 friends (also at the conference).

Coming from Hawaii, I'm afraid I won't have the right clothes! I have a puffy ski jacket and a heavy "Charlie Brown" coat. Also thermal underwear, scarves, socks, etc. -- even a sexy pair of gloves & earmuffs that Makai1 gave me. I guess I won't be jogging outside, huh?
Feb 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM

MelissaHI -

Living in Chicago during the winter can sometimes be tricky due to the freezing cold wind chills but for the past week it has been pretty consistent here with temperatures being around 27-34 on average during the day with a few snow showers/flurries here and there with the average at night being around 15. That may seem pretty cold but for this time around here it is not bad at all. I would say definitely bring a heavy coat and the mittens and scarfs because that wind off the lake can get pretty brutal. It IS the Windy City, afterall...
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Will I need waterproof shoes?
Feb 21st, 2010, 07:54 AM

Considering that we're supposed to get snow again tomorrow, I think waterproof shoes would be a good idea, Melissa. Could be slushy and nasty by the time you get here.

Sorry, makyear, but whenever I see someone post about "the windy city" and connect it to weather, I feel compelled to note that the name comes from Chicago's politics (courtesy of a New Yorker during the fight for the 1893 world's fair), not its weather. It's actually the 17th windiest city in the US.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 03:28 PM

Waterproof and WARM boots are essential.

A hat would be much more useful than earmuffs. Earmuffs won't do much if it's below zero. A warm hat will serve you much better.

I find if my feet or head get cold or wet, it's over.

Definitely dress in layers. It can be freezing cold outside, but then the heat is blasting on public transit and some establishments. It can also be very cold inside public places. Layers are best so you can adapt.

Even though I have lived here my whole life, I still find it very important to dress appropriately. You sound well-prepared and will have a very nice time!
Feb 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM

Melissa-

Please leave room in your suitcase to take me back to Hawaii with you.

Mahalo!