Seeing memorials in Washington dc

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going again to Washington DC. I understand the memorials are all far apart and that it's difficult to see them without some help...we don't like Tourmobile very much (used them last October..). We took the Tourmobile to Arlington. It was unpleasantly crowded and tho we bought 2 day tickets, just couldn't seem to find them when we wanted them.

I am curious if there are private tour guides we could find...say from our hotel in Dupont Circle. Or am I being fussy?
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:33 AM

If you don;t like the Tourmobile and its too far for you to walk from one to the ohter why not just grab a cab from one to the ohter? It doesn;t sound like you need a guide - just more convenient transportation and a decent guidebook,
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:16 AM

i agree with the cab suggestion. the mall area everything is fairly close but the jefferson memorial is a hike (although i've done it) definately cab has got to be cheaper than a private tour guide.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:28 AM

We just got back from D.C and I wouldn't consider just the memorials too far apart to see by foot in one day at all. But of course, that's without knowing what is too far for your capabilities. We walked from the capitol metro stop to the Library of Congress, by the Capitol and then thru the mall, stopped at two museums, then to Jefferson's memorial, Lincoln, Vietnam, Korean, Roosevelt, and then WWII. And this was starting from the capitol. If you are only doing the memorials in one day, then the walk isn't too bad, but you could always take a cab to the Jeffeson Memorial and then walk to the rest. The next day we did the museums and Arlington, starting at the Smithsonion metro stop, and then after the museums, when we were ready to go to Arlington, took the metro again, down from the National Archive.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 02:40 PM

We just got back from Washington late last night and we really enjoyed the Tourmobile. We did the nighttime one where you're with one guide the whole night. You get off at 3 or 4 locations and are given a talk by the guide who gives you lots of interesting information, as well as talking on the Tourmobile itself. There were four of us - it was $20 for myself, husband and daughter and $10 for son (11 and under). We all felt it was really worthwhile. We had gone to some of the monuments on our own during the day, but it was so much better going at night with a guide.

Saturday we drove to Arlington National Cemetary and took the Tourmobile there. Again, it was great. Having read other things before going, I was a little uncertain about the Tourmobile or Old Town Trolley. It certainly surpassed what I expected. We did not do the daytime Tourmobile but actually wish we had. We spent 4 1/2 days in Washington. It was great.

Around the Mall area and other places, we saw lots of Tourmobiles. It's too bad you had a problem. During the day you do have to wait for them at their designated stops so I guess you have to plan that accordingly.