Sedona Itinerary Questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be visiting Sedona the 2nd weekend in May. We fly into PHX late on Friday afternoon and will go to the Diamondbacks/Braves game that night (Go Braves!). On Saturday morning, we'll rent a car and drive up to Sedona. We will probably stop along the way to Sedona, but we will have the 2nd half of Saturday, all day Sunday, and almost all day Monday before driving back to PHX and flying home at 6am on Tuesday.

On trips like these, we usually like to find a good mix of outdoor activities, mainly hiking, and interesting sightseeing (like Jerome). We also to find interesting restaurants with good food and atmosphere (extra points for outdoor seating in this area).

These are the highlights I've been told to check out so far:
Jerome
Devil's Bridge (probably Monday morning to avoid crowds)
Verde Canyon Railroad
Slide Rock
Mesa Grill
Mariposa
Fay Canyon
Bell Rock / Little Horse trail
Doe Mountain Trail at sunset
Jeep Tours?

Is there anything I'm missing that would be considered a must-do or must-see?
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 07:55 AM

On the way up you might stop at Montezuma's castle and well, an interesting Native American ruin.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 06:47 PM

oh goodness, give yourselves time to just enjoy the wondrousness of Sedona - take a hike in Oak Creek Canyon, wander through the galleries, if it's your thing take the jeep tour up Schnebly Hill road, but don't overschedule yourselves - Sedona speaks for itself. (if you wanted you could easily do a day trip to the Grand Canyon - but I would encourage you to enjoy Sedona for its own joys)
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:17 AM

I still haven't made it to Jerome, so I can't comment there, but I have visited Sedona a few times (once last month).

I agree that along the way Montezuma Castle makes a nice short stop. Montezuma Well is also a short interesting stop to see the water in the high desert. We didn't walk down to the water, but you can if you want a climb. I stopped at Fort Verde this time, but I think there is so little there that it is best for a return trip or slow pace hitting all the stops. I met a family that were taking the rail trip the next day, so I can't report on that.

I have walked Fay Canyon and enjoyed it for the shade and quiet.
Last month we walked some of Bell Rock and then also most of Little Horse trail (my friend has some knee problems so didn't want to continue to steeper part to viewpoint). OK walks that take time to get away from the road/traffic noise. Hot by mid morning. We definitely needed hats, water, and I pulled out my umbrella part of the time.

One of the highlights in the are for me is the drive into Sedona from the north.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We are just finishing up a 10 day Arizona trip. Jerome is worth a visit. As is the Copper Museum in Clarkdale as it was fascinating. We stayed in Cottonwood for 2. nights at the Tavern Hotel. Very nice and the cute little downtown has some nice restaurants. There are wine tasting rooms in town and to the east of Cottonwood. . Page Springs Cellars is in a pretty setting along Oak Creek and has a great little restaurant. Yummy food!

We skipped the Verde Valley train since we didn’t want to sit for 4 hours and had seen some back country in our Jeep ride in Sedona.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:43 AM

I know you're almost here, lol, but agree with Montezuma's Castle. It is a nice stop, and a pretty area. Montezuma's well is also nice.
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 03:26 AM

Thank you for this thread, these are good ideas...
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 05:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fly girl- we didn’t eat there, but Mariposa came highly recommended.
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Sedona and Arizona are amazing! One of my favorite trips so far and I truly can't wait to go back and spend more time there.

We landed in PHX and went to the baseball game. Chase Field is an impressive stadium. The following morning, we drove up to Sedona, stopping at Montezuma's Castle along the way - very interesting stop. We went straight to the Little Horse Trail and hiked the entire trail to the top - what a view and totally worth it. We also hiked Doe Mountain Trail at sunset, Airport Loop Trail and then sat with a crowd of at least 100 to watch the sunset from the airport road on a different night. We also checked out Cathedral Rock from different angles - pulloff spots along Red Rock Loop Rd were our favorites. The culmination of our hiking was Devil's Bridge Trail and it didn't disappoint - if you can handle the hike, it is WELL worth it.

Another highlight of the trip was the drive from Sedona to Flagstaff. The scenery is INCREDIBLE and Flagstaff is a cool little town. We went to Dark Sky Brewery and Mother Road Brewing while we were there. We ate lunch at Beaver St Brewery (didn't try any beers though) and it was surprisingly good.

Our last night in AZ was spent in Tempe in order to be close to the airport for our early flight. We wandered around the Arizona State campus and spent some time in the Mill Avenue area. Found ourselves at Pedal Haus Brewery for dinner (we like to eat at breweries for the atmosphere) and we were extremely impressed by the food there.

Overall, an amazing trip. I haven't come close to seeing all of the US, but this trip is 1A for me (1B is San Francisco and the drive to Monterey along Hwy 1). Thanks to everyone for the recommendations!

Tempe - Pedal Haus Brewery
Old Jun 21st, 2019, 12:54 PM

Thanks for returning with the TR. Glad you had a fantastic trip. Look into going to Moab for Arches and Canyonlands next.