Search

Expert Advice Needed - Sedona - Itinerary Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expert Advice Needed - Sedona - Itinerary Questions

Hello!

I am planning a trip for 4 people (including myself). We are all in our 20's and very excited as this is a much needed vaca for hard working NYC professionals! =)

I have done a significant amount of research on the forums and on the internet as well. I have specific places and experiences I would like to plan out but I am having some trouble in terms of time planning and efficiency of sightseeing. Basically, I want what anyone wants... to be able to see as much as I can in two days and get the most of the time I have in Sedona. So, any advice will be much appreciated. Here are some of the facts.

Coming from : Las Vegas (3 days), stop at GC staying in Flagstaff that night. Driving early morning 5/19 to Sedona, start 6 am.

Dates in Sedona : 2 full days : 5/19-5/20, leaving morning of 5/21 driving to Phoenix Airport.

Hotel : Orchard Inn

My general ideas for the itinerary is as follows:

1st Day : We are scheduled to arrive at Sedona at around 8:30 am from Flagstaff, which I know is about 119 miles away, approx. 2 hours 19 mins drive. I would like to see as many of the sites of interest before our scheduled Pink Jeep Tour at 4pm/5pm.

2nd Day : Since we are driving to Phoenix early the following day for our flight, I would like the second day to be a little less hectic. I was planning on dedicating this day to wandering around town, some driving around and a little shopping. I am considering an early morning hike and returning to the hotel to get changed to walk around/shop and later have dinner at the Cowboy Club. I am aware that some of the shops close early (i.e. Tlaquepaque at 5pm, Gallery Row before 7 pm). So, ideally, I would like to be out of the hotel at around 1 pm.

1st Day – Stops along 89A to 179.
- Stop Over at Oak Creek Vista (necessary???)
- Oak Creek Canyon (driving through on 89A?)
- Stop at Grasshopper Point
- Drop off luggage at Orchard Inn
- Stop at Coffee Pot to have brunch/lunch
- Airport Mesa (light hike)
- Drive SE to Chapel of Holy Cross
- Drive to see Bell Rock
- Can I see Cathedral Rock by driving from Bell Rock????
- Drive back up north for Pink Jeep Tour (Broken Arrow) at 4 or 5 pm

Major Question : Is this feasible???

2nd Day – Western Sedona
- Chimney Rock
- Hike an easy trail that doesn’t take too long and will allow us to see something different than what we saw the day before. From my research, I have read mention of Fay Canyon, Margs Draw Trail, Red Rock State Park Trail(s), Bell Rock Pathway. I am questioning Bell Rock Pathway and Margs Draw Trail since both are not in proximity to Chimney Rock.
- Get back to hotel to shower and change
- Tlaquepaque, Gallery Row
- Wandering around town, any suggestions for quaint walks, areas??
- Dinner at Cowboy Club

Can I fit in any of the following????
- Montezuma's Castle
- Tuzigoot National Monument
- Schnebly Hill Road and Vista

I know this is a lot of information. But, I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you in advance!!

- Kate
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sure what "stop at GC" means.

I would try to do 3 things in GC, sunset at Hopi Pt, a one hour hike down Bright Angel trail (otherwise in my opinion the GC is a disappointment - you just don't get a feel for its size) and sunrise on the Rim).

About Sedona. Many on this board are of the opinion that the town of Sedona is no more than a few art galleries, t-shirt stores and restaurants that close at 9PM.

It's the amazing setting that's the draw.

As far as I'm concerned, the most scenic hikes are Boynton Canyon Vista (not the full Boynton Canyon - this is right near the start), Broken Arrow and a walk around the Bell Rock area.

Since you're taking the Pink Jeep Broken Arrow tour, you've got that covered.

The Boynton Canyon Vista is in Sedona west. You won't spend more than an hour there including enjoying the views. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from the "Y" intersection.

I think there's a way to get to the Cathedral Rock view just outside the Crescent Moon picnic area but you're not permitted to park there.

You're best taking the 15 minute drive to Sedona West and then south on the road that takes you into the picnic area.

If you're into shopping, I guess you could spend an hour or so in the Tlaq.

Unless there's traffic, driving from uptown Sedona to Sedona West is no more than 10 minutes. So Boynton Canyon Vista to Bell Rock Pathway, although on opposite sides of town, aren't very far.

I think you can take your wandering time in Sedona and use it for the scenery around the town instead of in it. "quaint walks"?

Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
emd

OK, here goes.

Day One:

Not sure where you got your info, but it is not 2.5 hrs from Flag to Sedona on 89A. It is about an hr if you drive on the slow side (which I do, there are drop offs on the sides at many points), but can be done in 45 min. depending on who is in front of you. Do this drive after it is light outside. It is very scenic.

When you say Oak Creek Vista, if you are talking about the vista overlook about half way down the canyon where the American Indians sell their jewelry, it is not "necessary" to stop there, but it is a great overlook on one of the most beautiful drives in the USA. I would much rather stop there than Grasshopper Point, unless you are planning to swim at Grasshopper point.

If you just want to see Oak Creek, you can turn into Junipine resort on the right as you come down the canyon (just past the turn off for West Fork Trail). Turn into the first drive at Junipine (before you get to the office lobby extrance) and drive to the back of the resort, take a right, and park by the creek. The creek is wide and rushing over large rocks there, and there is a bridge you can walk over. The creek is lovely there.

Be aware that you may hit traffic coming into Sedona on 89A. See my post of a few days ago on my trip to Sedona last week. There was an incredible amt. of traffic on 89A coming down the canyon into uptown Sedona. There is road constuction going on near the Y and new water lines were going on in front of Tlaquepaque. It really backed up traffic badly. I don't know what part of the construction will be done when you get there and what new construction wil have started, but 89A construction is scheduled to start next.

Watch this site as you get nearer to time of your trip for road construction updates:
http://www.scenic179.com/

As you can see, that site now says traffic is slow due to construction at 179 and the Y, and boy they are not kidding. It was awful last weekend.

Also, since it will be a Sat. a.m. in May, you might find that coffee Pot is very busy for breakfast. If you can't get in, which has been the case for me every time I've tried to go there, go up airport road and go to the airport restaurant for breakfast. You can sit outdoors on their shaded patio. We did that for breakfast last Sat. and it was wonderful.

Then you could drive down from the aiport right to airport mesa to hike. There are some other really nice trails that leave from that same little parking area right at airport mesa. I hiked two of them last weekend. You can go as far or as short a distance as you want and then turn around. The wildflowers are great in that area.

Expect that there will be traffic coming back from seeing the chapel and bell/cathedral rocks if they are still putting in the water lines in front of Tlaquepaque. It was murder last Friday coming back from the chapel towards the Y. It took an hr in bumper to bumper traffic. You might want to time your visit to the chapel and bell/cathedral rock at time when less people are coming in on 179, like maybe Sunday morning. Be flexible.

Yes, you can see Bell rock and Cathedral easily as you drive down 179. And if you pull off the road to hike at Bell Rock, you can see Cathedral Rock. If you want to see Cathedral Rock from up close, turn into the Back of Beyond subdivision off of 179 to the left as you are driving back towards Sedona from Bell Rock. Also, you will be able to see Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock when you are up high at the chapel.

Yes, your day one is very feasible.

Day Two:

If you hike Fay Canyon, a fairly short and easy hike, there is a nice pay-off at the end, the arch. But there is a lot of loose rock and part of the climb is a tiny bit steep (I sometimes come down part of it on my butt), so take good shoes w/some traction.

Also, you might want to see the ruins at Palatki out there past Fay Canyon trail. Palatki puts you in the middle of an awesome part of the redrock wilderness, adn the ruins and rock art are really great. I went there for the 2nd time last weekend and really enjoyed it. They have instititued crowd control- you call and make a "reservation" for the time you want to visit and only a small amt. of people are let in at a time, so no crowds and it is great that way. We called the morning we wanted to go. This was a highlight of our trip last week, my best friend's first time in Sedona. It's a very impressive and beautiful sight, something very unique, and the little hike to get to the ruins is very nice (stone steps). And the volunteer interpretive guides were great.

If I were you, I'd go there instead of Tuzigoot. I've been to both and Palatki is way cooler IMO. And you need to drive to the Cottonwood area to go to Tuzigoot. Palatki is right there in West Sedona.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/5vn2o

After that you could go back to hotel, clean up, and shop/wander around at Tlaquepaque and the galleries. By that time on Sunday there shouldn't be a lot of construction traffic, hopefully.

One nice walk is thru the sculpture garden at Exposures Gallery. It is vbery col, all sorts of big kinetic outdoor art, great sculptures, and they have music playing outside as you walk thru it. Just pull into Exposrues (you can't miss it, it has BIG sculptures outside, it is right next to Hillside shopping and dining area which has some nice small galleries in it also- you can walk from Hillside to Exposures and vice versa). Hillside also has Shugrue's, a nice place to have a drink and appetizer (if not dinner- Shugrue's has the best dining view in Sedona, IMO) out on the outdoor patio which is high up and has a great view.

When you are in uptown at Orchards, you can walk down to Oak Creek and walk along the creek. Most of the resorts and hotels in uptown have good access to the creek, like Amara , Best Western, etc. You can walk down their driveway entrances and get to the creek.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide me with some very helpful advice.

I have taken all your ideas and revised my itinerary. I do have three additional questions to ask you.

1. Should I consider taking the combo tour (Broken Arrow/Scenic Rim)instead of just Broken Arrow??

2. Palataki looks so interesting and I definitely have included this in my plans. Do you think I should consider trying to fit in Montezuma somewhere? I know this is south of Sedona heading into Phoenix. But, in terms of the experience, is it worth it?

3. How much time do I need approximately for the hike at Fay Canyon? Also, have you hiked Boynton or the Red Rock State Park trails? I know each hike is uniquely beautiful. But, I want to be able to get a firsthand general comparison of the trails. I read through my Experience Sedona 2008 guide and got the names for the trails and short description but not much else. I wouldn't say we are very experienced hikers but we are definitely capable. My boyfriend and I have done a couple easy and moderate trails up here in the Hudson Valley. So, it doesn't have to be SO easy.

Thanks again. =)
Old May 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think you should spend the night at the GC instead of Flagstaff.

MY
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:17 AM

As Michelle wrote, I would definitely spend the night in GC instead of Flagstaff.

Last June I was in Sedona (se photos at www.travelwalks.com) and hiked Boynton Canyon. Right near the start there's a detour to Boynton canyon Vista.

In retrospect the Vista rated much. much higher than the full Canyon. In fact, the last half isn't very scenic at all. If you're looking for bang for the time, the Vista over the full Canyon hike any day.

I didn't take a Pink Jeep tour but i hiked the Broken Arrow trail. It was one of my favorites as it's very scenic. near the end i think you can see Bell Rock off in the distance.

Several Pink Jeeps passed my during my hike and the drivers were terrorizing the passengers. Between yells they were having a good time.

I think they got out of the Jeep once or twice. I know they did at the end of the trail.

While you can see Cathedral Rock from several places, the image that you see in the photographs with the sunset reflection in Oak Creek is taken from the Crescent Moon Picnic area (some of those on my web site). What a sight as the sun is going down and the Rock starts to turn fire orange.

There's a web site: www.greatsedonahikes.com

Also is you're looking for a spiritual (?) experience, Google "Sedona Vortex" and read about the 4 sites. Boynton Canyon Vista is one. The Crescent Moon Picnic area is another.

I was there on a saturday evening and saw four weddings.

have fun.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:15 PM
emd

oops, I just realized I was looking at April's calendar instead of May. May 19 and 20 is a Sunday and Monday, so hopefully you'll miss the Sat. traffic tie ups.

If you are interested in Red Rick state park, you are really lucky! On May 19 they have their monthly fool moon hike! Red Rock State Park hosts a full moon hike in the evening/night. You start at late dusk and climb a trail up w/a ranger. By the time you get up it is dark and the full moon is just hanging there, almost right above you. It is awesome. And after the hike they have big telescopes set up back by the visitor center and you can see the stars. An excellent evening.

See:
http://tinyurl.com/47gjdl

Call and make reservations if you are interested- this hike books up early and you probably won't get in if you wait til that day.

If it was me, I'd switch the dinner at Cowboy Club or whereever to the 1st night after the jeep tour and do the full moon hike the 2nd night. You won't forget it.

We have also hiked the main long trail at that park that takes you up to the House of Apache Fire. That is interesting, but the full moon hike wins hands down.

Fay Canyon hike takes about an hr to get all the way to the arch and back down. That is what the "Sedona Hikes" book says and that is how long it took me the two times I've done it.

Devil's Bridge is another moderate hike w/a big pay off at the end, and it is also in the Dry Creek Rd. area of west Sedona, also takes about an hr.

Since you are staying at Orchards, walk across the street and go to the Sedona Toursist Info Center (331 Forest Road in Uptown Sedona) run by the Chamber of Commerce. They have all kinds of valuable hiking info, maps, and first-hand experience to give out. And I think they sell the Sedona Hikes book by the Mangums, which is the best hiking book IMO. My copy is dog-eared. Gives great descriptions, distances, directions, and info on all the trails, ruins on the trails, and rates hikes by how easy/hard they are.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
emd

About the Broken Arrow tour. I have also hiked that trail as has Myer. I saw the jeeps going vertical up and down the rocks. I think Broken Arrow would be enough for me for a jeep tour. It is a high energy (and heartbeat) tour. I still can't figure out how those jeeps do it.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
emd

One other thing. Devils Bridge gives you a really nice wide vista at the top of the hike. Fay Canyon has the arch, but no such big bang vista view.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
dmlove

FWIW, we ate at The Coffee Pot last Sunday around 11 - thewait was only about 20 min;

EMD, we were wandering around Exposures about 1 on Saturday; Fabulous place - we especially loved the tables by Frasca and Halliday, the glass pieces by Laurie Burns and those Big spinning mobile-like things (outdoors).

OP, click on my name and look at my trip report, which describes a lovely short hike we took on Sunday.

Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:48 PM

Oh yes. emd mentioned Devil's Bridge.

Finding it was a problem. There's no sign and then when you do find it you drive a couple of miles on a dirt road with pot holes and big rocks on it.

The hike was pretty nice and not too long.

At the end you can climb up some rock "stairs" to get on top of the bridge. I started to go up and then decided that going up was the least of my problems. I'd probably have to come back down.

I know my limitations and decided that taking pictures from below was enough.

I went up and 5 or 6 feet and it was almost straight up. My camera that was hanging around my neck was hitting the rocks in front of me as I climbed up.

If I remember correctly it's up the same road towards Boynton Canyon. You turn in where you buy the parking passes and the dirt road starts there.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM
J62

bookmarking
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
emd

dmlove, we probably walked in your footsteps in the Exposures side garden, as we were there last Sat. at 5 p.m. So cool. I really like how they integrate that crack on the concrete walkway and made it look like a vine w/leaves. So creative, right down to what you are walking on.

Myer, did you have the Sedona Hikes book when you were looking for Devils Bridge? That's what I used the first time I looked for it, and each time thereafter. The directions are really good in that book. Even if one is only hiking a few hikes over a couple of days, that book is worth the investment IMO, because it gives guidance on the trails all along the trails, for their entire length. And this comes in very handy when you get lost. Even though you think you won't. It happens. I speak from experience.

For me, it helps to have a day pack on that is large enough to put a camera in, and lots of extra water, twice what you think you might need, on all the moderate hikes. Moderate hikes, even Fay Conyon, require some incline and typically some light climbing.

One thing about those dirt roads. Be careful after it rains. It won't be a problem this time of year. We drove several miles out the dirt road to Palatki (give yourself time on those roads, it can be slow going, but not that bad) in a PT Cruiser rent car, and it was fine.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 04:07 AM

emd,

No, I didn't have that book. I had a lot of info from various web sites. I printed out one page descriptions of about 15 hikes and selected the ones that interested me.

When I was looking for the trailhead for Devil's Bridge I passed the (I have a lifetime National Parks pass so don't need Red Rock parking passes) parking pass machine turnoff and ended up at a resort.

The person manning the gatehouse told me several people each day end up there instead at Devil's Bridge. He gave me instructions.

Yes, getting lost is a problem. It happened to me and it was getting late in the afternoon.

I was walking near Bell Rock and had read about a new trail (Llama - great views of Bell Rock & Cathdral Rock and more) and saw it. I decided to take it. Unfortunately it's also shared as a bike trail and that caused the footprints to be wiped out. The tire tracks led in all directions.

Eventually I decided I was on it long enough and turned around. Every trail I tried kept turning towards Courthouse Butte and not towards the Bell Rock parking lot. I horded my last bottle of water.

I wasn't really too concerned as I knew there was cell service as I had used my phone when I started that hike.

Eventually I found my way back and drank that last bottle of water.

I'm going on another hiking trip to Utah in a couple of weeks and this time with a friend.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Myer, dmlove, myer, and emlove for taking the time to share all your knowledge. I really appreciate it!!!

Emd - I already called about the moonlight hike and is definitely on my list of things to experience. The nice man I talked to on the phone told me that last hike over a 100 people showed up!! Must be awesome to have so many people interested in it.

I am truly excited about my plans and am so glad that I posted here. Tripadvisor and virtual tourist forums were not helpful at all.

If you have any other suggestions, please post.

Thanks again!!
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Woops!! I meant to say EMD not emlove... ehhehe
Old May 3rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
emd

I like emlove. It has a nice hippie sedona-like ring to it.

So glad you are going to do the full moon hike- come back and tell us how it was.

Myer, I got lost on Broken Arrow trail on the way down. I don't know how I lost the trail in full daylight on a Sunday morning, but I did, and I walked in circles for an hr trying to find it. I started to try to go down without the trail and quickly bagged that idea. Ended up missing my flight out of Phoenix that day.

Even on a well-traveled trail like Broken arrow, which also has a jeep trail, you can get lost. Luckily I had extra water, food, emergency supplies, cell phone as I don't go out without those things in a pack, so I didn't panic. I was able to find the sinkhole on the trail (devil's kitchen I think it is called) and find my way down from there. I was lucky I had the Sedona Hikes pages about that trail.

My husband and son got majorly lost on a biking trail around cathedral rock one New Yrs Eve. They apparently took the wrong fork, went really far in it til they realized they were lost. It got dark. No cell service. They ended up following the lights to the airport and putting their bikes over the airport fence. They called me from the runway! They were bloody and tired when I picked them up.

If USNR is reading this he is probably just cringing,as many people go out unprepared and get lost and have to be rescued or worse. They had a map, and I made them take a backpack w/an emergency blanket, flashlight, extra water and cliff bars. They could have stayed out overnight if they had to, but it would not have been fun and I would have been worried to death.

You gotta respect the wilderness, even when it is close to civilization like many of the Sedona trails.

Have a good trip to Utah, Myer. I've been hiking in Zion, Bryce, and the areas outside of St. George, but would love to get to Canyonlands, Arches, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Emlove... =)

I just came across this very informative and comprehensive website about Arizona hikes... not sure if you know about it. But, it maybe helpful for others... hikearizona.com
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:51 AM
emd

Yes, I am familiar w/that site, but I lost the bookmark when I changed internet providers a few months ago. It's a great site, w/useful comments from people who have done the hikes and know the terrain and trails.

Here's the Mangum's Sedona hikes book. The new edition has GPS coordinates, which should help w/not getting lost, and color photos and color maps of each hike. I think I will put my old copy to rest and get this new one. It's $11.50; my 5th edition was $14.95 so it's a good deal:
http://tinyurl.com/6m23vg

Old May 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM

glamgirlnyc,
I have used that site. try www.greatsedonahikes.com

It has excellent descriptions and many photos.

emd,
Now that I think of it, I got a bit lost on the way down from Broken Arrow as well. Only about 15-20 minutes. I think it was over some slickrock and the cairns must have been misleading.

I usually watch the footsteps on the trails. However, very often on slickrock you can't see footprints and must rely on the cairns.

This all goes to show that you've got to be careful and prepared.