One week in Arizona in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're attending a graduation in Phoenix in early May. We thought to make a vacation out of it and spend a week. We love nature, hiking, good food, and interesting sights. We're thinking of Sedona and Grand canyon. I have no idea about distances but these are two areas that I have heard of it. Help in getting me started.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 10:47 AM

Just back from a month in Mesa so here are some things I enjoyed

Heard Museum - devoted to Native American art, culture, history- I really enjoyed.

Boyce Thompson Arboretum- nice walking trails though cactus gardens and other desert plants.

Lost Dutchman Park- great hiking from easy to difficult. Also can do trail rides which I think are arranged from the Goldfield Ghost town across the road.

Filly's Bar and Restaurant- average food but great fun. Outside dining with dance floor- parking lot for horses. We were there on a Sunday afternoon, it was packed, people dancing and some ride their horses in from horse camps- there were at least 8 horses tied up at the hitching post when we were there.

SanTan Flat- fun restaurant in Queens Creek- large outdoor dining area with dance floor, live music. They have fire pits which you stoke with wood from the big wood pile- you can make smores over the fire-

Frank Lloyd Wright house- daily tours- I did not do this but some friends did and were quite impressed with tour.

Drive to Tortilla Flat- little western town- the restaurant walls are covered with $1 bills- they say there is over $100,000 on the walls. Drive past Tortilla Flat on a windy, twisty road past Roosevelt Lake and Dam to some cliff dwellings- paved trail up the the dwellings.

Sedona- take the Pink Jeep tour- very fun- I think we did the Broken Arrow tour which takes you right up on the rocks . Lots of hiking to do in that area but we did not do any hikes.

On the way to Sedona stop at Montezuma's Castle- another cliff dwelling area which was interesting.
In Sedona a great place for an afternoon snack/beer is in the old town- don't remember the name but right on the main street- they have a big deck with great views of the red rocks.

Did the Grand Canyon last year- you would need an overnight to do that.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 01:01 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Sedona is 2-21/2 hours north of Phoenix, red rocks, great hiking, and a good place to stay between GC and Phoenix area.
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I'm staying in Phoenix 2 days, 2 days in sedona (Oak Creek) and taking the Pink Jeep tour one day, 1 day in Grand canyon. Is there an interesting stop on the way back from the Grand Canyon to Phoenix? I like the idea of stopping at Montezuma's castle on the way to Sedona.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 08:06 AM

dcha109,

That looks like a pretty good plan. I f you can get a prett early start on the way to Sedona, I would suggest stopping off to see both Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well (several miles apart, but just a bit off I-17).

On the way to the GC, if you enter through the east entrance, or on the way back if your exit is through the east entrance, take the loop road that goes through Wupatki National Monument and Sunset Crater. also, either on the way to or from the GC, depending on how you do the loop, try to stop by the Cameron Trading Post for lunch (Navajo taco) and browsing.