Sedona/GC/LV help needed

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Sedona/GC/LV help needed

I need some itinerary planning help from you out-west experts. I'm planning a trip that includes Sedona, the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Since this trip will be replacing a yearly trip to the Carribean, I'd like at least a few days of total relaxation by a wonderful pool. I could either fly into Phoenix or Flagstaff (Phoenix is a bit cheaper), and while I don't have any interest in seeing Phoenix itself, I've heard there are some beautiful resorts in Scottsdale.

Suggestions for great resorts in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area (or Flagstaff, if possible) would be appreciated. I would love a good restaurant on-site, a romantic setting and a nice pool for less than $300/night. I know we'll need a car for the drive to Sedona and onward, but I'd like to avoid having a car in Phoenix, if possible.

I'd also like to spend a whole day at the Grand Canyon, as I'd like to do some hiking.

Here's my tentative itinerary. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated:
day 1: arrive in Phoenix late p.m.
day 2: Phoenix
day 3: Phoenix
day 4: drive to Sedona in the p.m.
day 5: Sedona
day 6: drive to Grand Canyon in the a.m.
day 7: drive to Las Vegas
day 8: Las Vegas
day 9: fly home from Las Vegas on the red-eye
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Jende. I am certainly not even remotely an exxpert, BUT I think maybe I would just do Vegas, Sedona and GC, with flying into and out of Vegas, WHEN you are going, makes a BIG differance IMO. Las Vegas has some great pools, with Mandalay Bay being fabulous! We did Vegas, GC, Sedona and Zion and Bryce last Sept for 12 days and it was not enough time for me! Hope this helps, Judy
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM

We used Hilton properties in Phoenix and Sedona and highly recommend both.

www.pointehilton.com has 2 Phoenix resorts. We picked Squaw Peak for the kids. The other one is more adult oriented. Hilton Sedona is great too. We had planned your same trip, but Grand Canyon ended up being dropped.

Hope you have fun!
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Jende - We stayed in a VERY romantic B&B just 20 miles south of Sedona called Hacienda de la Mariposa. I would highly, highly recommend it. It is ultra romantic with a killer pool. This place oozed quiet, comfort, seclusion and ROMANCE. Breakfast was the only meal served but it was 4 star! We were treated like royalty there. I can't wait to go back and in fact would bypass Phoenix in order to stay there. The drive into Sedona was so close and easy too. If you want to read more about this place, you can do a search on this site as a posted some information here. This place has its own website too -- www.lamariposa-az.com.
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses. I thought I was being so thorough, but I always overlook something! I know the time of year is important -- we're going in early March.

I figure LV most likely won't be pool-friendly at that time of year, which is why I pinned my resort hopes on Arizona.

Tulsa Laura: I'll definitely check out your resort recommendation. Staying near Sedona could allow us to skip Phoenix (except for the flight) and spend more time in the other places. Great idea!

Any other thoughts about how much time to allow for each place? I don't want to feel rushed or like we're constantly pulling up stakes and moving to the nex place (but I've never been to the southwest and want to do it justice)?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 01:11 PM

When are you going? It's not pool weather in Las Vegas now and Phoenix is only in the 60's.

We were in Scottsdale last summer & stayed at the Westin Kierland. It was beautiful, with Westin Heavenly Beds and 2 pools (one for adults only), plus a wave pool. There were some very upscale shops and restaurants nearby, probably less than 1/2 mile away, which we accessed by car. Unless you plan to eat every meal at the hotel, you'll need a car in Phoenix.