Notices

Help with itinerary Sedona, GC, Vegas

Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help with itinerary Sedona, GC, Vegas

We have six full days but we are real troopers. My wife, myself and three children ages 13-17 are going to Sedona, GC, and Vegas middle of next April. We are arriving in Phoenix and leaving from Vegas. Two questions:
Do most of you Fodorites think Sedona, Scottsdale, GC, and a tiny bit of LV is doable? If not, should I drop Sedona or Scottsdale? Please consider proximity also. We don't stay in one place too long. Hope to spend a night in the middle of things in GC, (recommend a good place) and a convenient place in LV. We don't want to go to out of our way can all these be done in some kind of direct route or is Scottsdale or Sedona just too out of the way.
Other people who had positive experiences with Sedona or Scottsdale please comment.
Thanks so much.
Ken
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depending on the time you arrive in Phx,you may want to drop Scottsdale. Unless there is something specific you want to do there, in which case you could stay one night and then head for Sedona for one night. Otherwise, should be able to drive to Sedona 1st night and stay another night, then drive to GC, stay 2 nights and drive on to Vegas for final night (s). April is a nice time to be traveling in this area. I'd try for Bright Angel Lodge, but the places back from the edge of the Canyon are fine, too. Just reserve EARLY.
Vera
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sedona is an incredibly gorgeous place. Don't miss it to see Scottsdale. It's not too far from Phoenix, and the drive from Sedona to the Grand Canyon is spectacular. There is wonderful hiking in each place, and the kids will like it far better than either Scottsdale or Vegas (unless they really like big cities).
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dont' skip Sedona. It's too beautiful.

If you can get reservations, you should stay in or near the Grand Canyon at least one night. Remember that there are only two ways out of the Grand Canyon from the south entrance: back the way you came, or east, which isn't the direction you want to go. So give yourself plenty of time for the GC leg.

The little town of Williams is beautiful, too, if you're looking for an off-the-beaten-path place to stay, and there's a train that goes from there to the GC. Pretty cool, hu?

And speaking of cool, you can take a drive on a portion of Route 66 off of Hwy. 40 on your way to Kingman. Fun!

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will stay in Sedona and drop Scottsdale. Thanks keep it coming if anyone has any other suggestions for this age.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My husband and I did that trip. We flew into Vegas and stayed a few days there as we had a wedding, then we rented a car and drive to Grand Canyon which I think was about 4 hours, then we drove to Sedona where we stayed 2 nights and that took 2 hours from Grand Canyon, maybe a little more, then we flew oiut of Phoenix. It took about two hours from Sedona to Phoenix. By the way when in Sedona don't miss the Pink Jeep Toours.
Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did a similar trip last summer except we flew in AND out of Las Vegas.

I would stay 2 or 3 nights in Sedona and would choose Sedona over Scottsdale for sure. We loved the Sedona Hilton when we were there with our kids (about same age as yours). Hike at Boynton Canyon is great. Slide Rock is a must and you can't go wrong with a side trip to see Montezuma Castle.

On your way up to Grand Canyon, (via 89) stop off at Wupatki to see some neat indian ruins.

Kachina at Grand Canyon was very nice and right on the rim. HIke down the Bright Angel Trail to get a feel for below the rim. We saw a California Condor soar by when we hiked down. We didn't go all the way down.

We stayed at MGM Grand in Las Vegas and were pleased. Our kids loved NYNY, M&M World and especially the Freemont Street Experience. Their favorite hotels were Venetian, Caesars (gotta love the shopping), Aladdin, Excalibur and Paris.

Happy travels

Old Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We also did a similar trip last year. Flew in & out of Vegas, had 10 days, but spent 4 nights of that in Vegas. So, essentially, we had 6 days driving around as you plan & it also included 2 nights at Zion (which was awesome!). Stayed at Bright Angel Cabins at Grand Canyon...absolutely try to get something in the park; it is just an unforgettable experience! Paid something like $55 for a cabin for our teenage kids & $70 for a cabin for my husband & I during peak season. (Cabins for 4 were sold out) FYI, The El Tovar Lodge in the park was not that impressive.

In Sedona, we stayed at Enchantment Resort and since it was off season we were able to negotiate an extremely discounted rate of $125. The place was so relaxing & gorgeous. Sedona blew us away with its beauty.

Vegas we stayed at the JW Marriott which is outside of town a bit but extremely beautiful. We checked out lots of hotels & my favorites were Paris & Venetian (both had very reasonable rates in the $100 range when we were there). Have a wonderful time! We did...cannot wait to get out in that part of the country again!