Seattle's Inn at the Market - surrounding area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a taking my 10 year old son to Seattle for some sightseeing in March. I have always wanted to stay at the Inn at the Market so I've spurged on a two bed room there. But as I dig through reviews even further I was surprised to read several reviews that say the area isn't safe at night. Is there truth to this? Should I plan on being back to the room before dark? Maybe find a different hotel?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:02 PM

The area is not unsafe at all-I've never heard of anything bad happening there. I frequently walk through the Market area alone at night to meet friends at some of the bars/restaurants there, and I've never felt unsafe. That is a fantastic hotel and it's really special to stay right in the Market.

I wonder if some people are put off because the park at the Market-Victor Steinbruek Park-has a homeless contingent. Maybe that is enough for fraidy-cat types to label an area unsafe. But where in downtown Seattle will you not see homeless people?

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I certainly wouldn't change hotels, and I wouldn't be very worried about safety at all.

Truth be told, there are a fair number of street people in Seattle, as there are in any large city. Negative encounters with these folk are really quite rare, and seldom require evasive manoeuvers or the like. The area around First Avenue and Pike, and a little distance along Second Avenue north of Pike - up into the Belltown area - has a higher than typical concentration of these folk, but there's little reason for you to be wandering in those areas at night, and during the day and market hours there's nothing to be concerned about.

That said, you will certainly see homeless and panhandling people. Maybe it can be a learning experience for your son, if he hasn't seen that sort of thing much. But it's a pretty benign scene.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM

That area can feel dicey at night. I don't quite understand why but for some reason, the area on Pike between the market and 3rd Ave is perennially infested with drug dealers--I don't know if the police have made a conscious decision to let them congregate there, or what. Pine tends to be a little better, so I usually walk on that street if I'm out in that neighborhood at night by myself. But that said, my sense is that it's more unsafe feeling than actually unsafe. It would be interesting to see what the stats are for actual crimes in that area (other than drug sales).

It really depends on what you're used to...are you used to urban environments? If so, then you'll probably be just fine. Just take normal precautions that you would in any urban area. The Inn really is a nice place to stay and it's fun to be right at the market.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

We went to San Francisco last summer and you are right ... it was a learning experience but certainly not a threat to our safety. The comments I read about the area were nonspecific. Thanks for the input. I'm sticking with my first choice.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Well NWwandered, I posted right before you did. But that is interesting info. I'm surprised, not sure what I'll do but at least I won't be totally unaware. Thanks.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I do not think is unsafe for tourists at night. People have already touched on the points you might notice in the area. A certain street with an unsavory flare or homeless people panhandling.

Any violence that makes the news seems to be people who know each other, like problems after the bars let out at 2:00am, like that.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Oh, I would stick to it--I really doubt you'd have a problem.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM

The Inn at the Market is a very nice place, and the neighborhood is fine. As a mom, I feel very comfortable walking around that area with my kids. Problems with one particular stretch of Pike St. have been noted; it's not a safety issue but an aesthetic one. It is easy to avoid that one street.

Do you have plans for where to dine and what to see while you're here?
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 02:55 PM

The area is safe even though it is prowled by unsavory-looking characters.

However, if you are thinking you would want to be in your room before dark, you may be happier in one of the many good hotel options close to restaurant and entertainment options that appeal to 10-year-old boys. These possibilities include Grand Hyatt, Sheraton, Westin, Mayflower, and Andra.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM

The couple blocks that people are talking about are on Pike between 1st and 3rd, while the Inn is on 1st between Pine and Stewart. If people hanging out on the street freak you out, there is actually no reason you'd need to walk down that particular street anyway. It's not in front of your hotel and there's not really any place on those couple blocks you'd need to go.
Old Jan 16th, 2007, 05:45 PM
hdm

We stayed at the Inn at the Market in August, walked everywhere and had no problems at all. We live in a big city are are (unfortunately) fairly used to seeing street people. As in any city, I'd keep my eyes open and not walk through any area that just generally look or feel unsafe but that's advice you can use anywhere. I think it's a great area and you'll have a wonderful time. Things your son might enjoy are the EMP (Experience Music Project), the Space Needle, the Underground Tour, and the Boeing Tour (if you do this, be sure to go to the gift shop and the hands-on display).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good feedback guys. Our trip isn't until March, so I'm still in the planning phase. I just had my heart set on staying at IATM for whatever reason. I feel certain we can handle it. Looking at the map it seemed like to me that IATM seemed fairly central. I do know that we want to get some good sushi while we are there. And we will definitely want to do the underground tour and hopefully the Boeing tour.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I think you'll be fine. Any of the few negatives mentioned above are simply street life in Seattle, and you possibly would see them no matter what hotel you stay at. I don't think the answer to being out after dark for example would be any different Inn at the Market, or the Mayflower, or the Sheraton, etc. Inn at the Market is a great location (I work a couple blocks away).
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM

While we don't live up there anymore, we do go back to visit family and have stayed in that area. We always have our kids with us, so understand how you feel about wanting to be sure about your location. Don't worry about it, and have a great trip!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM

Having read this old thread, I am recalling that in the past we have walked back to the Inn at the Market at midnight after listening to jazz at the Fairmont Olympic. But that was five years ago.

We are planning a stay in February. Is this still a relatively safe idea? I think I remember the street or block you are discussing. Sometimes we crossed the street. However, now we are older.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:44 AM

My impression as a Seattle resident is that the area around the Market is better than it was 5 years ago, but still not 100% cleaned up.

I walk in that area alone at night (I will often go to shows at the Showbox on 1st Avenue or dinner at places in the market, and park a few blocks away)--I just maintain awareness of my surroundings. But if you're at all nervous about walking after dark, just grab a cab.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM

I still say the same thing as I said back in January...

"Inn at the Market is a great location (I work a couple blocks away)."