Search

Seattle weather?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle weather?

A couple of years ago I was warned by Fodors regulars that July weather in San Francisco can get quite cold. I packed a light leather jacket and used it at least 3 times; I was SO grateful to have had that information in advance

I'll be in Seattle week after next and am wondering what to pack. According to online weather reports, the temperatures have been ranging between the low 80s and the mid 50s. Is this sweater weather, or should I bring a light jacket?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
This year it's fluctuating between 65 and cloudy and 80 and somewhat humid (by our standards - saharan by southerners'). It should get warmer and drier on average as the summer goes on, culminating in 80s - 90s for a few days around Labor Day as a norm.
It has also sprinkled a couple of times in the past few days, but no real soaking rains.

I'd bring a light jacket and hope it won't be needed. Near the water, of course (on ferries, lakeshores, etc.) you'll definitely need something to block the wind - it's never warm out on the drink.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 07:44 AM

I should add that the weather here in July is typically MUCH better than the weather in SF in July. In general, pretty much the absolutely best time of year - usually sunny, warm and dry - though this July has been a little on-again/off-again in this regard. A light jacket is not a bad idea for evenings near the water - PROBABLY you won't need it otherwise.

Ken
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Never leave home without it!!!
take the light jacket.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:54 PM

We went to SF last year and needed a "wrap" nearly the whole time we were there.

We visited Seattle this year from July 8-15. The first day, we could have used a COAT, because we ate outside on the water. The rest of the time, the weather was perfect, and my sweater was too much and stayed in the hotel room. The climate in Seattle is much, much more pleasant than in SF. (At least it was last/this week.)

Donna
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:06 PM

Regarding my message above, the one day we were cold in Seattle was in the evening in the Ballard suburb, with the wind coming in off Puget Sound. The city proper is not as close to the ocean, and unless the weather changes drastically from what it was the last few days, you won't need a jacket.

Donna
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Unless you are coldblooded, the answer about how to pack for Seattle is the same year round--layers of LIGHT clothing that you can put on our take off and something for the possibility of rain.

My heaviest piece of clothing is a unlined Gortex shell.

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Hi SusanCS,

Welcome to Seattle! As an east coast native that lived in SF and now Seattle, the weather in Seattle (in the summer) is usually hotter than SF. No humidity though, thank goodness! basically, it ranges from hot (80s) to oh-shoot-it's-cold (60's). so i recommend bringing layers, from tanktops to long-sleeved cotton sweatshirts (the thin ones are great), and a goretex shell when it rains. fashion here is not the same-- people here are very casual even in the nicest restaurants, which is great for visitors. comfortable hiking shoes/sneakers are must-wears, and you can pretty much leave the sex-in-the-city outfits at home. in terms of jackets, yes, you should def bring one, although i hardly wear leather jackets anymore-- goretex, polar fleece, golf jackets, or sweatshirts are more popular fare.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to you all! I think I have a good idea what to pack to keep me warm, and I'm especially grateful to
choppy for addressing appropriate dress in restaurants. Having said that...exactly how casual should I dress? I'm used to the obligatory black outfit...is that out of the question?
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 03:42 PM

Hi SusanCS,

Always glad to help! I think you can never go wrong with the basic black, cream, or neutral outfit. To give you a visual anecdote, I went to OceanAir, a very nice seafood restaurant downtown and I was shocked to see men wearing Goretex shells, a nice button down shirt, jeans and sneakers. It always surprises me how casual Seattle is compared to other cities. However, today and tomorrow are forecasting to be in the 90's, so I'm seeing more open toe sandals. Oh and one more thing, I hardly see women wearing lipstick or heavy make-up. The style here focuses on the outdoorsy, casual, and comfortability. So just bring layers and wear clothing that you enjoy wearing-- this is one city where you don't have to worry about being under-dressed or judged on your appearance.