Seattle, Washington

May 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Seattle, Washington

We will be staying 2 full days in Seattle at the end of a trip to Alaska. Any recommendations for restaurants? What's NTBM in the city itself? Have heard about the market, and plan to go there, but what else? Please tell me your favorite place to take out-of-towners. Thanks, Tia
May 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM

In downtown, McCormick & Schmick's Seafood Restaurant is recommended.

If you go up to neighboring Capitol Hill, check out Costal Kitchen on 19th Ave. It's fantastic.
May 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Can you give us an idea of what kind of restaurants, and what price range? It's hard to know whether to recommend fine dining or authentic Szechuan without knowing what you are looking for.

If you search older Seattle threads, you will find tons of suggestions about sights.
May 16th, 2006, 09:32 PM

I like the Underground Tour. Did you know that that the city of Seattle used to look like a waffle? It's humorous, informative and interesting. I've probably been on it 4 or 5 times w/visitors and they and I have always enjoyed it.

I'm not a big fan of McCormick's. A Seattle institution is Canlis. It's fine dining, but a spectacular view and wonderful food. Make reservations. Waterfront Grill is also wonderful. Right on Elliott Bay (very close to the Cruise terminal actually), high end with the atmosphere and cuisine to impress.

More casual but fun include the Pink Door (at Pike Place Market), Cactus in Madison Park, Ototo Sushi...tons of options. Just tell us what you're looking for!

What month will you be here?
May 18th, 2006, 02:13 PM

When I think cheap, I think under $20 for two and certainly no more than $25 including tax and tip (without booze). My favorites are Baguette Box, Bambuza, Bell Street Diner, Cactus, Cheesecake Factory, Chinook, Deluxe, P.F. Chang, Pho Cyclo, Siam on Broadway, and
Tutta Bella.
May 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM

correction: Coastal Kitchen in on 15th Ave East

on 19th Ave East you will find Vios, Monsoon, and Kingfish Cafe
May 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM

If you have a rental car, the Ballard Locks with lunch at Ray's Boathouse is always a hit if the weather's nice.

Pioneer Square historic district, Chinatown, and Pike Place Market could take up most of a day.
May 18th, 2006, 03:16 PM

The Underground Tour is quite interesting and entertaining. OF course, there is the SPace Needle; most of the time the view is not great but it is cool to say you have been there!
There is a tour (I think from Argosy) that goes through the locks and into the sound. I really enjoyed that. I got to see huge sea lions sunning themselves on the buoys!
Pike Place market is definitley worth a stop. There is lots of food to eat! I love Crepe de France; somebody also reccomended the pasta bar there. In addition, the original Starbucks is right across the street from the market as is a FABULOUS french bakery. Don't miss Chukar Cherries in the market.
The Metropolitan Grill is very good. Also, Taco del Mar has great burritos.