Reload this Page >

Fun Fish Restaurant Seattle Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 04:56 PM
BillJ

In a few weeks we will have a mini-family get together for a wedding. A few days prior to the sheduled festivities, I want to gather my part of the clan, about 10 or so, for a fun, casual, dinner at a Seafood restaurant, as some of us are fish deprived.
We will be in the SEATAC and Bellview area, but don't mind a little drive. Cost is not necessarily a problem, but I don't want real formal, as we have a child under 1 yr, and some frail great grammas. View of waterfronts/ ocean/ etc., would be nice.

Any ideas?

Old Aug 16th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Paula

I'd suggest the Harborside on Lake Union. It's a McCormick & Schmick's restaurant--and they're all good--but what's fun about this one is the location. Right on Lake Union with terrific views.

I've never been disappointed with a meal here--very good value for the price. I especially like the Ahi Nicoise salad--it's a meal in itself. Also the calamari and portebello mushroom appetizers are good (and large). Of course, salmon is always a good choice in Seattle, as is Halibut.

You can dress up or go casual--lots of people dock their boats nearby and so it's mixed.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 07:21 AM
John

A bit farther drive, but some family-friendly places that come to mind are Chinooks at ther Salmon Bay Fishermen's Terminal in Seattle - a big, noisy place with good food and windows that face the moorings for the west coast's largest fishing fleet. Call them for directions or to talk about a big party - they generally don't accept reservations (but it's so big it seldom matters much) but they may for 10.

The Fisherman's on the Seattle central waterfront near Waterfront Park is in the center of tourist overload, but the food is really quite good and it's high on the fun-ometer.

The last suggestion in Seattle is Ray's Boathouse on Shilshole Bay (through Ballard and on into the setting sun), especially the cafe upstairs, where with a party of ten you should ask for the private party room with veranda over the water - spectacular and it's probably the best seafood in Seattle. It might be a little pricier than the others, but oh, wow, the setting. Fine for kids and elders, and not formal.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Jim

I'm surprised at how good the above suggestions are. At Harborside the steelhead is one of the best dishes and I think it's about $16-$17. Chinook's is as described and part of the Anthony's chain which has places on the downtown waterfron, Shilshole, Edmonds, and elsewhere.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 04:07 PM
steve

For a great view, good food, try Salty's on Alkali, you are looking across the harbor back at downtown Seattle, Space Needle, etc.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 04:02 AM
xxx

A second vote for the party room at Ray's Boathouse. The view is unbeatable and if the 1 yo gets fussy, you won't be bugging other diners.
A big thumbs down for ANY Salty's restaurant. Overpriced, mediocre seafood (by NW standards), and very uneven service. On the tourist trap scale, it's beaten only by the Three Crabs in Sequim.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:08 AM
xxx

Chinook's is a good all around restaurant. Salty's at Alki has a great view of downtown from a totally different perspective. Just go for a drink at the outdoor bar.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 09:01 PM
JBS

Lots of great seafood restaurants in Seattle (and Salty's, in my opinion, is NOT one of them - as previous posts have indicated. Though I think they'd have to work hard to raise themselves to mediocre...)
Etta's (Western Ave)is a fun choice that would probably be my choice given your requirements. Generally high quality food and a great place especially if you can be there at a time conducive to wandering through the market first before it closes for the evening...early dinner? By the way, I think they do the best halibut in Seattle when they are hitting on all culinary cylinders.
Waterfront (Pier 59? Sorry, I know how to get there better than the address) is nice, though perhaps a bit formal; they have recently made some changes to their menu and pricing which brings them more in-line with special-but-not-too special dining. They also have a gorgeous view from a very pretty dining room. Flying Fish in Belltown (not an entree item, a restaurant name)can be very good. If you dine in Bellevue you miss Seattle's gorgeous downtown/waterfront/dinner at sunset spectacle - but if you must I'd try the newest BV rage; Sea Star though I've only had drinks and appetizers there. Perhaps an easy 35 minute ferry ride to Bainbridge Island and dinner there would be more memorable - if so I'd suggest Pleasant Beach Bistro, though here there's no view, but then you had a great one ferrying over and the restaurant is a quick 5 minute drive off the ferry. Let's see...given a few more minutes I could come up with another 50 or so faves. If you really are interested or have questions feel free to email me - I love this city and hope others feel the same. Oh, yeah...just keep in mind it's a difference of opinions that makes horese racing what it is. (That's kind of my caveat)
Hope you have a great time visiting!