seattle/vancouver with mom

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seattle/vancouver with mom

We're going to be going to Seattle area and Vancouver in May for about a week with 78 yr old mother. She's pretty spry but too much walking will be too tiring. Any itinerary suggestions?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 09:46 AM

Take the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver. I believe it's about a 4 hour ride. The scenery is beautiful since the train track runs right on the edge of the Puget Sound for most of the trip. The water is on one side of the train and the countryside is on the other side. You can eat on the dining car. We had a very nice meal, breakfast I believe. It was a beautiful trip and we plan to do it again. I would think it would be great for your mom, she'll probably reminisce about the days of train rides.... We took the trip a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
In the downtown Seattle core, Metro bus has a free zone, so you can use it to get around say Pioneer Square and The Market. The monorail from downtown to Seattle Center is a fun means of transportation. A ferry ride say just out to Bainbridge and back to get the view would be another good activity that is not strenuous.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM

There is also a trolly which runs from the waterfront to occidental square

The Duck is a really popular way to see a lot more of the city than most see. My relatives loved it.

(this is all for Seattle)
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 02:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The waterfront trolly is inop for a couple of years while the new sculpture garden and trolly barn are built. There will be a bus running the route instead.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Despite the hills, I find Seattle to be much friendly for walking than is Vancouver.

In, Vancouver, it is a long walk to every place if your hotel is near the water. We like to stay near Robson Street at The Sutton Place Hotel, the Metropolitan, or the Fairmont Vancouver Hotel.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Go to Victoria, BC too. It's delightful - like a visit to England. Have tea at the Empress Hotel.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:09 PM
ALF

The Seattle Waterfront trolley remains in operation - I rode it today.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Gardyloo do you know when that is suppose to stop (the trolly), I cross it everyday here in Pinoneer Square and hadn't actually heard it would stop for a time.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 04:06 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Last day for the trolly is this Friday (18 Nov) - sorry, I thought it was last Friday. Down time according to Metro will be "18 to 24 months." Sure.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:45 AM

I am glad that I found this thread. We are planning on heading west for our summer vacation. Flying into Seattle, taking the train to Vancouver and then driving to Calgary and then flying home from there.

I found a website for the AMtrak train and thought that that was the perfect way for us to get from Seattle to Vancouver to pick up our rental car.

How far in advance do you have to book the train? We are travelling in July if that makes a difference.

And also, where would a decent place to stay in Seattle be for the night that is convenient to the airport and train station?

TIA
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:51 AM

The train station is just on the south edge of downtown, so it's a quick, easy cab or bus ride from any downtown hotel. The downtown hotels are also easily accessible by cab, Greyliner or bus from the airport.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:44 AM

I did this trip with my mom (her 75th B'Day). We met at the airport (she from TPA and me from SJC). We took a bus from the airport to a downtown hotel (I believe the Hilton). Walked everywhere from the hotel (Pike's Market, etc,), short cab ride to the train station in the AM and up the coast we went. VERY pleasant journey with an excellent brunch in the dining car.

In Vancouver, we did a LOT of walking but used their monorail system (can't recall the name) at times. Easy to navigate.

The following morning we had a coach pick us up at the hotel and drove right onto the ferry to Victoria. Lovely ferry ride. We actually walked to our hotel from the dock. Spent two days in Victoria (Buchart Gardens, tea at the Empress, went to parliment in session, British museum, etc).

We look the fast boat (name escapes me) through the San Juan Islands back to Seattle.

Cab to a Seattle airport hotel and we both took early flights home.

A wonderful journey with my mom.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM
owa

Hi, We are going to take our 4 grandchildren (12-17) to Seattle in March for 4 days. Does it make sense to take the Amtrak to Vancouver and the fast ferry back all in one day? I think they would really like the train. Thanks, Owa

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:53 PM

There's no ferry from Vancouver to Seattle-the previous poster came from Victoria.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:13 AM
owa

You are correct. Didn't read carefully enough. Owa