Seattle to Vancouver border crossing

Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle to Vancouver border crossing

We'll be driving across the border in our car for a day trip from Seattle to Vancouver. We plan to drive up on Tues, July 3rd, and hopefully avoid any excess of Canada Day or 4th of July travellers.

I've read lots about the delays at the border. Is Tues morning a reasonable choice? What time should we leave Seattle in the morning to avoid the worst of rush hour, but still have enough time to spend in Vancouver? And is there a best time in the evening to return to go through the US border?

(We're from the San Francisco Bay Area and used to spending an hour to drive 10 miles on the freeway, so heavy traffic doesn't frighten us - LOL!)

Thanks for any help or ideas.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you might find this website helpful

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/border/
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd leave as early as you can--7 AM would be good. You won't encounter much traffic heading north out of downtown--the rush hour traffic is coming into downtown. The border wait tends to build as the day goes on so I wouldn't leave any later than 9.

Coming back you'll probably be best off if you wait to leave Vancouver at 8-9 PM if you don't mind a long day. I'd have dinner there then drive back.

Why just a day trip though? Vancouver's well worth at least an overnight.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We never go through the Peace Arch entry. We jump off of the freeway at exit 255 and take SR 539 through Lynden. That hooks up with the Trans Canada highway which shoots you right into town.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuesday AM travelling north is not a busy time of the day. But also keep in mind it is the day before the US holiday. We do not usually take the Peace Arch crossing, we take the Lynden WA or Aldergrove BC crossing.
this web site will give you the wait times. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/times/menu-e.html
Monitor it for the next week.