Notices

Seattle to Vancouver

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seattle to Vancouver

Hi,
How long does it take to drive from Seattle to Vancouver? what's the trip like? is it worth driving or would it be better to take the train from Seattle?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
About 3 hours, depending on traffic and the wait for the border crossing. It can take longer depending on the time of day and day of the week (as well as time of the year--summers usually being worse in terms of the border crossing).

If you take the fastest route up I-5, it's a fairly boring drive. There are scenic detours which would add to the amount of time the trip takes. The train is very scenic--it leaves once a day at around 7 AM. Whether you take that or drive may depend on what else you're doing after you go to Vancouver.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks,
I think the train might be better then, I just have a couple of days and will be staying in Vancouver, from the other posts seems like public transport will be enough within the city.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sailin' -- good call.

Anyone crossing the US/Canadian border by car (at least at the Peace Arch crossing) is due for a huge test of their patience. Both the US and Canada are re-engineering the roads and gates at that crossing, and at times the road will be down to 1 lane on the northbound route from the US.

I love Vancouver, but my next visit will be by train, not auto. No border hassle -- customs and immigration ceremonies will happen at the Vancouver train depot.

Fritzrl
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, I think of Seattle as being about 1-1/2 hours from the border (not considering traffic, naturally). And then I am taught differently, every time. Going to see my relatives at a young(er) age, the Everett/Marysville area was pretty boondocks; now that's where the traffic comes to a halt. And I still laugh when remember Memorial Day last year, when the guy in a car a few ahead of us fell asleep at the Peach Arch waiting in line. Honking didn't immediately wake him up, and we all jostled to get around him (he was ok, he woke up as we were passing him).

We live in Florida, and it's a pretty long trip to go for a traffic jam. But worth it. For what it's worth, we have found it's not usually as bad going south (except for that same Memorial Day weekend). Typically, we spend the last night in Vancouver, and catch a noonish flight back home on Sunday. The traffic isn't as bad then as the lines at TSA security --which in Seattle can be really huge.

This coming Memorial Day, we'll be back once again. This time, though, we're taking the train from Vancouver to Seattle (6pm-ish), and then catching a morning flight (8:30ish) from Seattle. We hear the train is quite scenic and will get us away from I-5.

When are you going?