day trip: Vancouver-Whistler-Seattle??

Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trip: Vancouver-Whistler-Seattle??

We'll be traveling around Vancouver Island in August (including a few days in Tofino, which everyone on this board has raved about).Then we take a ferry to Vancouver for 3 or 4 days, and return to the midwest via Seattle. Is it at ALL realistic to attempt to check out of our hotel early on a Saturday morning, drive up to Whistler, have lunch and spend a couple of hours, then drive down to the north part of Seattle, spend the night in order to catch a 2pm flight out the next day? Or is that a crazy idea?
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I haven't heard of this so much lately, but the highway to Whistler does get blocked up every now and then with rocks. So it can take longer than you expect.

Other than that, there's nothing impossible about your planned day, but you may also be delayed for some time at the border crossing leaving Canada, given you will be doing that on a Saturday night.

I could see something like this:
Check out at 7 AM
Drive to Whistler (probably get there between 9 and 10).
Walk around.
Have lunch.
Walk around.
Leave around 3 PM.
Get to the border crossing about 6 PM.
Get across border and into the north of Seattle around 10-11 (about a 2-hour drive, so a lot depends on the border).

I think I'm being quite generous with time allotments.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 11:22 PM

The highway to Whistler is being widened this summer in prep for the 2010 Olympics.
Check for delays at;
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/seatosky/index.htm
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 01:53 AM

I was talking to someone Saturday who crosses the border frequently, and she said Saturday border crossings are taking up to 4 hours. I can't confirm how bad it actually is, and I still think your plan is doable, but be prepared for the border wait to be longer than you would like.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I'd either leave Vancouver very early on Sat or wait until pretty late in the evening (i.e., have dinner in Whistler or Vancouver before you leave).

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:58 PM
BAK

Big gamble.

I'd work on getting across the borader fairly early in the day, and then enjoy a leisurely drive down to Seattle.

Me? I'd try for the Boeing airport tour, but thre's lots to see if you get off the interestate.

BAK
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 03:39 AM

You may want to check the constuction web site for hy 99(the sea to the sky,from north van(ferry )to whistler.It took us an extra 30 to 45 min.If you are going to the us border on the weekend you may run into a 2 hour wait at the truck stop,and absford, the two west crossing from the peace arche.it is best to avoid the boarder on american holidays if you are in a rush. love whistler..food is great