Seattle - restaurant near Amtrak?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a decent, moderately-priced restaurant within walking distance of the Amtrak station in Seattle? We'll be arriving at Lake Union a bit early for lunch and would have all our luggage in tow so I'd rather eat after checking in at the train station.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Are you arriving at the station in Pioneer Sqaure??

If so there are lots of options. You are on the border of the International District. At 12th and Jackson is 7 star Pepper sczechwan chinese. It is amazing!

Across the street is a new Thai restaurant that is getting stellar reviews- Tamarind Tree

Also near the station is Salumi, a great little italian deli serving up home cured salami sandwiches. It gets very busy and is only open Tuesday thru Friday but it is great and a Seattle favorite (Mario Batali's dad is the owner)

Old Sep 6th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

I don't know, stormygirl. Is there more than one station? We are actually arriving at Lake Union, then departing by Amtrak, but have a few hours in between.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:14 PM

There are plenty of cute places to eat within an easy walk of the Amtrak station, though I don't know any of them in particular. Perhaps someone else can give you specifics.

There is only one Amtrak station, called the King Street station. It is just north of QWest Field (aka Seahawks stadium). It is near Pioneer Square.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 05:20 PM

Reread Stormygirl's post. Sounds like good ideas.

We ate at the Tamarind Tree a couple of weeks ago. It's in the back of a little shopping strip. People love it, but people at my table had mixed reactions to the Vietnamese fish sauce. I didn't have it with my menu choice, but I tasted it and won't be ordering anything with it in the future.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, stormygirl and Orcas. We're not very exotic eaters so we would skip the fish sauce. ;-)
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
"arriving at Lake Union" is what confused me... coming in by float plane maybe?

Anyway the Amtrak train station is in Pioneer Square which is the historic district, there's loads of restaurants of all types. Simply walk a couple blocks over to 1st Avenue (the main street) and see what suits your fancy.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM

ok, more about places within easy walking of the King Street Station.

On 1st and Main is a great sandwich place call Essential Bakery, fantastic salads, soups, sandwiches and bakery items.

If you want a nice lunch there is an Italian restaurant on 1st and King called Il Terrazo Carmine

Also, though not my favorite, there is FX McRory's on King too- seafood, sandwiches, salads, chowder. The food is fine but the service can be slow!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM

duh, the sandwich place is Grand Central not Essential!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Many choices! My husband might prefer the sandwich place.

Yes, Suze, arriving by float plane.

Thank you, fellow Fodorites.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 07:39 AM

Now I'm really confused...Amtrak takes you by float plane? Since you mention Lake Union, this makes some sense, but would appreciate clarification. Were you teasing?

If you do indeed come in at Lake Union, then you are not at the King Street Station and Pioneer Square is not within walking distance, especially with luggage - imo.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My understanding is they arrive by float plane at Lake Union, THEN are going to the King Street Station in Pioneer Square to catch an Amtrak train. I assumed they would taxi cab between the two.
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Suze has it exactly right. We'll be taxiing between the two locations and would rather eat near the Amtrak Station after dropping off our luggage.

However, on the return trip, if time permits, eating near Kenmore Air at Lake Union would probably work better and for that I guess McCormick's might be best?