Seattle hotels & nightlife ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for hotel ideas, late June/early July, close to shops, restaurants & nightlife. I've read good things about the Sorrento hotel... what about the W hotel? Inn at the Market?

I'm going with a few friends, so we would like to be at a hotel with a lively atmosphere. Also looking for nightlife suggestions... thanks!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:24 PM

Will be heading to Seattle for the first time on 5/4. Will be staying at the Fairmont.

I use tripadvisor.com to find out about the hotels I visit.

Good luck.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM
kip

I'd recommend the Inn at the Market- great location, nice hotel, good restaurants. W is right downtown. Sorrento is on First Hill, not right downtown. I personally think it's a little stuffy and dark. The Fairmont is a nice hotel, used to be the Four Seasons. If you are not on business, I go for the Inn at the Market (and go for a view room) or the Alexis.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:47 PM

Depends what you like to do at night. I'm not sure if the ballet (Pacific Northwest Ballet) or Seattle Opera will be during performances then, but both are excellent and the new Opera House is beautiful. Also, there will be a special Van Gogh exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum at that time that sounds like it's going to be wonderful. (I will be there for the opening and will report back.) We also like going to Jazz Alley.

You can check out what's going on at seattleweekly.com and nwsource.com.

We live here, so haven't stayed at either of the hotels, but I have heard good things about both. Not sure if they're what you'd call "lively" though, for that you might want to be in Belltown, which is a younger more "hip" area. But I'm not familiar with hotels in that area. Anyone?
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:47 AM

The Sorrento is not well located for shops, restaurants, and nightlife. The center for these activities is at approximately 5th and Pine. Nearby hotels include the Westin (rooms in the south tower are being renovated), the Shearton, and the new Hyatt. Check out Hotel Andra, which is a new "botique hotel" created from a 1920s hotel. We were given a tour last week. The rooms have a lovely modern decor and introductory rates are available until July 12. The corner rooms for $130 are an unbelievable deal. Their web site is www.hotelandra.com
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM

After writing the above I went to the Hotel Andra web site. To get the best rates, call the hotel, ask for Kathy and request the "Belltown Neighborhood" introductory rate. 206 694-7255
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:21 PM

We stayed at the W over New Year's...it is in a central location, but it has a real hipster kind of vibe. The elevator lobby and hallways are dark and moody, but the staff was actually very accomodating and friendly, and when we had a small plumbing issue they sent someone up right away. The room was nice, very clean, with modern furnishings and a good bathroom with awesome bath products. We had a standard room, with a queen bed and a couch (not a sleeper sofa); it wasn't huge by any means, but it was adequate, didn't feel cramped or anything.

We loved the public spaces, especially the "Living Room", their lobby area. It's got a fireplace and lots of homey, upscale living room furniture, with a bar and restaurant a few steps away. It had a fun, lively scene at night, with lots of attractive people sipping expensive drinks. We also sat upstairs by ourselves one night on the mezzanine, overlooking the lobby, which was neat. The funniest part was coming back to the hotel at night--the whole city all lit up and from a distance a massive dark building, our hotel. I guess being completely dark is in.

We paid $169/nt in December through www.seattlesupersaver.com, which is a VERY good rate for the W. I actually just got a supersaver postcard in the mail, I only glanced at it, but it seems like the promotion is still going on in some form, so check it out, there's a LOT of hotels that participated.

Let me know if you have any questions.

love
roxy
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:58 PM

I agree that the Sorrento is probably not what you are looking for. Beautiful hotel, but not really near anything. I would suggest the W, Inn at the Market, Alexis or the Edgewater. As far as night life goes...I'm not sure how old you are, but if you can let me know more about what you are looking to do I can provide you with some suggestions (clubs, bars etc).
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:04 PM

I realy like the Inn at the Market and have stayed there several times. That being said, I'd not say it's a particularly hip or happening kind of place.Perhaps, that's what I like about it old gal that I am. I say check out W or the Andra. Belltown is a great location as there are many great restaurants and night spots.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:01 PM

Stayed at the Olympic Fairmont first week of May. First time to Seattle. Awesome hotel. Received a rate of $139 per night. Walked around at night. For example, had dinner at Cheesecake Factory and left there and returned to the hotel alone after dinner. Was comfortable walking alone that late.

Also close to everything. To avoid some of the hills, walked to Pike ST to enter the front of the market and could exit the rear to go out near the lake(?). Not sure if it was a bay or lake...sorry

Hotel was quite with a great view. Room had three windows. Could see the needle out of one and Civic Center (?) out of the other. Right across the street from a high end shopping area but within block of every other "mall" store you can think of. While walking one night, I passed the W. Think it's two block away. But so is every other hotel.

Had dinner at Edgewater Inn(?). OK meal and pricey. Awesome view. Can watch the sunset with snowcapped mountains in the background. Many ferries coming in and out.

Have fun.
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:49 PM
E

Re: Inn at the Market, I agree w/ PamSF. I think it's a great place to stay, and it's very well-located for restaurants and the Market (of course), but it isn't at all lively--which is one of the reasons we liked it, too! It does have a nice rooftop area for hanging out and enjoying the view, but sounds like you'd prefer something a lot hipper (W sounds fun...). Have a great trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 08:34 AM

We usually use the (Fairmont) Olympic as our "host hotel" when clients come to visit. It's simply gorgeous with a great staff. I don't know if it's as "lively" as the original poster may want, though.