seattle hotel choices

Search

seattle hotel choices

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seattle hotel choices

I'll be traveling to Seattle in early July for business and also sightseeing. Since my wife will be unable to accompany me, I've asked an old ( we're both 55 )high school buddy to tag along, since his wife will be visiting her sister around the same time. I'll be staying at the Doubletree in Bellevue for a few nights on business, and then figured on staying at a downtown hotel in Seattle for the next three nights, as it seemed easier than commuting from Bellevue. Since I don't plan on renting a car in Seattle, what's the easiest way to get from Bellevue to Seattle without getting a rental?
Also, I'm considering several hotels, but I'm not sure whether to go for a large, convention style one, such as the Sheraton or the Westin, or a smaller boutique style, such as: the Andra, Mayflower, Hotel Monaco, or the Inn At Harbor Steps. Obviously, my friend and I seeking something practical, casual, and close to the tourist attractions, with informal, reasonable restaurants nearby, or even on the hotel premises. Also, a room with two queen, rather than double beds is preferred. Which of the aforementioned hotels seems best - I'm also open to other suggestions, as you guys are certainly more knowledgeable than a first-time Seattle visitor like me!
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM

The only hotel of the ones you listed that we have stayed at is the Westin. We lived in the area, but stayed there many times for large group events. Over the last few years they have redone the rooms, including the bathrooms. We were last there over Thanksgiving weekend and our room was very nice, every little detail. It is a perfect location for someone without a car, although if you do get one they have valet parking that has always been very efficient.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Without a car rental, the only way I can think of to get between Bellevue and downtown Seattle is Metro (public bus $1.50) or a taxi (~$25).

The choice of a large chain hotel or a boutique hotel isn't particular to Seattle IMO, what kind would you and your friends prefer in any city you are visiting?

Since I live here I have no personal experience to share, but from your list I would pick the Mayflower Hotel, for central location, price, style. Andaluca is the hotel restaurant, very nice but I don't think "reasonable" price-wise. But there are tons of places to eat nearby in all price ranges (lots of sandwich shops, teriaki, all the Pike Place Market stands, etc.).
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM

We really enjoyed our stay at the Edgewater Hotel, located right on Elliott Bay. We were shuttled everywhere by the hotel, so we didn't drive at all.

Being on the water was wonderful and the restaurant Six Seven is gorgeous and the food was very good. Enjoy Seattle! ***kim***
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 01:26 PM

As a resident let me say that public transportation is rather poor so a taxi is pricey but really a car would be nice so you can get to the ferry dock, go to the fish ladder in Ballard, see the UW campus and other sites. My personal hotel favorite is the Fairmont Olympic,Hotel Monaco is also very nice, and the Inn at The Market. The big hotels are really not very special.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM

We loved our stay a couple years ago at Inn at the Market, but this year trying to keep under that budget, we've narrowed it down to Inn at the Harbor Steps and Andra. There have been a number of threads here lately giving lots of details about these and other hotels in Seattle. Put "Seattle Hotels" in the search box, click Washington and read as much as you want.