COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Dinner After Chicago Cubs Game

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Dinner After Chicago Cubs Game

We are staying at Club Quarters on Wacker Dr just off N Michigan Ave. We plan to attend a couple of night games at Wrigley Field. Will take the CTA Red Line to & from the game. The games begin at 7:05 pm which makes it too early to have dinner prior to the game. Is there late night casual eating establishments in safe areas near Wrigley Field or Wacker/N Michigan? Is the Red Line safe late at night for the journey south? On a trip last year we attended a night game at Busch Stadium, St Louis & had a terrible time locating a decent place to eat after the game. Most places stopped serving at around 10:00 pm. Anyone have a favorite late night spot in the mentioned areas that we can safely walk to & from?
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 05:30 PM

Across the river from your hotel is Bin 36, a popular wine-oriented restaurant which has an annex that's open til 2 a.m.

Cafe Iberico is an authentic Spanish tapas restaurant that would be a 4-5 block walk or short cab ride from the Chicago Avenue Red Line stop. It's open late and worth the detour.

Both of these places
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Be prepared for a long wait at Cafe Iberico, but it is worth it.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 05:42 AM

Both those are good suggestions. There are also a ton of restaurants and bars right around Wrigley where you could grab a bite. We like Goose Island Brewery on Clark. Just exit the south side of the stadium. Also for a little nicer restaurant then pub food, Tuscany is a block away. The Red Line is fine for where you are going. It will be packed after the game too. If you hang out in the neighborhood for awhile though, might be just as easy to grab a cab.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Didn't realize that my post was cut off! I was going to add that both of the places I mentioned were dressier than standard ballpark jeans-and-a-sweatshirt style.

Other places to consider:
Grand Lux Cafe, 600 N. Michigan - owned by the Cheesecake Factory group, very diverse crowd;
Boston Blackie's on Grand, just east of Michigan Avenue - old-fashioned bar with great burgers;
Heaven on Seven on Rush - good Cajun food and casual, fun atmosphere.

Don't worry about walking around the North Michigan Avenue area after dark; there are always people out and about. It's nothing like St. Louis' sadly quiet downtown. The thing to look out for in general, and especially on the EL, are pickpockets. Don't keep all your money, etc., in an accessible place.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Adding to Patg's suggestions-there is also a Heaven on 7 on Clark about a block away from Wrigley...
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys & gals. You have give me some good tips.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I ate at Bin 36 last month and while the food and service were very good, be advised that if the place is busy, it will also be LOUD. My dining partners and I had trouble hearing each other at times. I'm not that bothered by noisy restaurants, but it makes my husband very grumpy, so if any of your party get irritated by noisy restaurants, keep that in mind.
Old Jan 12th, 2005, 02:59 PM

I would take a cab to Shaw's Crab House near Michigan and Hubbard.
Awesome food