Seattle Grand Hyatt, The Gorge and outdoor fun

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi my wife and I will be going to Seattle from Aug. 31st - Sept. 5th. I know it'll be a busy weekend b/c of Labor Day but we're hoping for a fun time.

Reading some of the posts of the Seattle Hotels, it looks like The Inn at the Market is the place to stay, but as expected, it looks like it is already booked. My second choice is the Grand Hyatt, ( I would like to be within walking distance of the market and downtown attractions. Does anyone have any feedback on the Grand Hyatt or a better reccomendation?

Secondly, on Thur. Sept. 1st, we are planning to see Pearl Jam at the Gorge. I have no idea how we going to get there... so ideas on transportation would be very helpful. Perhaps we would be better off renting a car vs. taking a Taxi that far.

If anyone also has ideas on what we can do around the area of the Gorge or what we can do in and around Seattle along the lines of Outdoor fun (kayaking, boat charters, sailing, hiking, etc.)

I am just planning our trip, so all ideas are welcomed.

Thanks!

CJ
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 08:17 AM

You will need to rent a car for the day to get to the concert. It's about 3 hours each way. The Gorge is really in the middle of nowhere, not much to do, but a beautiful place to see a concert.
There are boat charters down at the waterfront, and kyak rentals on Lake Union. A fun place to rent kyak's is at Aqua Verde in the U District. It's a fun mexican restaurant right on the canal.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:25 PM

The Grand Hyatt is one of our newest hotels. It has a great location for sightseeing, and all reports about the place have been favorable.

You will need a car to get to the Gorge.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM

Hi Seajay,
I bought a stay at the Grand Hyatt on Luxury Link. I think it was $150 a night. Our room was great, beautiful view, and a fantastic bathroom. The beds were extremely comfortable and all the linens were first rate. It is pretty modern so no quaint charm. The service from the staff was well beyond the normal. They were extremely accomodating and helpful. The hotel is conveniently located. While the restaurant is very good, it was too expensive for breakfast. We found plenty within an easy walk. There is a french bakery across the street from the main entrance to Pike's Market and it was fantastic. We hung out there and watched Lance, go. A lot of fun. Seattle is a fantastic place. I would go back again in a minute. Have fun.

If you are still in the early stages of planning you might want to consider a couple of days at Friday Harbor or elsewhere in the San Juans. I loved it up there.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Since it sounds like you are music lovers, you'll want to look into attending Bumbershoot over the weekend. It's our wonderful annual music and arts festival. It does get VERY crowded but I still love it. Friday is the best day to go to avoid crowds. Have a look at the schedule and consider getting your tickets in advance to save money. I think the website is bumbershoot.org.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WOW- sorry but a taxi to the Gorge isn't reasonable! I'm wondering if there are any shuttles or bus service from Seattle to the various concerts on their schedule?

Grand Hyatt is a little more of a hike to the Market than some of the other hotels but generally gets good reviews.

Bumbershoot is an excellent suggestion.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the responses. We'll definately rent a car then. I called the Inn at Market Place and they have a couple rooms left, so I'll probably book there.

I'll also check out the festival, its definately something we'd like to do.

As far as going to San Juans, what do you recommend? 1,2,3 nights?, hotel?, how to get there?

best,
CJ
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:11 PM

My two cents worth, I would take as many days as your schedule allows in the San Juans. I stayed at the Friday Harbor House and I loved it. Small, gorgeous view, great restaurant, excellent rooms.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Another vote for the Grand Hyatt. Great hotel, great location. Request a harbor view room both when you book and when you check in.