Seattle for Thanksgiving

Search

Seattle for Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seattle for Thanksgiving

We are planning a trip to Seattle in November and need advise. We would like to stay downtown. How is the Inn at Harbor Steps? We would like to find a 5 star boutique hotel close to the water.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I have not stayed there, so can't comment except for the location, which is great. We stayed at the Alexis last year over Thanksgiving when we were back visiting family, and loved the hotel. Great location, very nice room (huge, no noise from street or neighbors, very helpful staff), and just a short walk to Pike Place Market.

Wherever you decide to stay, I would highly recommend making reservations soon. The Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend is the Seattle Marathon, and so hotel rooms get filled up. When we lived in the area, even we took the opportunity to stay in downtown for the marathon since we were tired after 26.2 miles, lol!
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM

We don't have anything that fills you bill exactly. In addition to The Alexis, the Inn at the Market may suit you, if you consider two or three blocks to be "close" to the water. If you like a "W-like" hotel, you may like the brand new 1000 Madison Hotel, which is near The Alexis.

If you want a room right on the water, investigate The Edgewater. The Marriott Waterfront, is across the street from the water.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, A tough decision between The Alexis, Hotel 1000 or The Inn at Harbor Steps. They sound very nice. How about resturants in the area? Also Thanksgiving Day suggestions> thanks
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:09 PM

There are lots of restaurants around the market. At the Alexis, they have a great place for breakfast onsite called The Library. Yes, it is done up like an old library. We had very good meals there. They also have a cozy bar, called The Bookstore, which was nice. The hotel is part of the Kimpton Group, and they hold an evening wine tasting and have blank postcards set out with watercolors for guests to do. It was a fun activity, and we met quite a few guests that way. A good ice breaker, if you will. The valet was always very quick with our car, which is great when it is raining.

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The Metropolian Grill is an excellent restaurant at 2nd and Marion. Have no idea what's up for Thanksgiving though.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I am checking out all the websites as the suggestions come in and making a list.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM

Most restaurants do a special Thanksgiving Dinner, and some of them are very good. There is usually a limited menu, with a few choices in each course. Some restaurants, such as Kaspar's (at least through 2005). do spectacular buffets.

What would you hope for in a Thanksgiving meal? (The Metropolitan is a steakhouse, if that's your cup of tea.)
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Neopolitan

We did stay at the Inn at Harbor Steps. It was nice, but the hotel is on the lower floors of a very high building and are suprisingly dark with no views (other than some nicely landscaped "gardens). Their breakfasts are wonderful as is the afternoon complimentary tea. We just found the rooms to be nothing special.

We've also stayed at the Alexis but had a very small room. That was too long ago (at least 10 years ago) to warrant further comment from me.

But we loved the Inn at the Market if you can swing a view room. I think that comes the closest to what I think you are really looking for. We also loved staying at the Andra, but it's certainly not on the water.

I actually got a little tired of the walk up the hill from Harbor Steps to all those great restaurants we wanted to go to that were much more in the Belltown area.

Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.themetropolitangrill.com has much more on their menu than only steaks. it's housed in a old bank building and i thought to recommend it because it is close to the Alexis and Inn at Harbor Steps.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM

Suze--That is a good recommendation. We enjoyed the Met several times and it was always very good.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:21 AM

Maybe not five star, but unique is the Edgewater. It was a dump for a long time, but was renovated a number of years ago, and I have heard that it is quite nice. Can't get any closer to the water.
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I am keeping a travel list. We will try many resturants, but need to pick out one the great hotels. Next question-- would love to do one day at Bainbridge any helpful hints-- thanks again from a Midwestern
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:02 PM

Ferries leave frequently from the waterfront. The crossing is 30 minutes, and there is a little town to walk around when you get there. Cafe Nola is a good place for lunch. For schedule and fares see: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/