Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

seating at the Coliseum at Caeser's Palace (Elton John's Show)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2004, 04:10 PM
emd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting seats for the Elton John show at Caeser's Palace Coliseum in October. I have a choice of either Front Mezzanine, 10 rows back (JJ) on the far (audience) right of the stage (6/7 seats from the far right) or in the 1st mezzanine level, section D (just to the left of center), 305/306. This appears to be a very large venue. If I sit in the lower front orchestra that far to the right, will I be able to see the stage? And if I sit up in the 1st mezzanine, is it as far back as it looks? Elton's piano is going to be facing the audience's right, so at least we would be on that side if we sit in the lower orchestra. But there is apparently a large video screen used in his show and I am wondering if we will be able to see it. Will anyone who has been to that show or to the Coliseum for Celine Dion's show comment, please?
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:04 PM

I cant really answer your question but I have one for you. My husband and I are going to see the concert the weekend of October 14th. I did a really dumb thing and I bought tickets from travel nice.com and they cost 936.00 for the rear orchestra section. I should be on the piano bench with him for that price. Anyway, I did read somewhere that eltons piano sets on the right hand side of the stage. I think all the seats are good for his show as alot of videos are shown.Can I ask you where you puchased your tickets?
Mary
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:09 PM
emd
Original Poster

These are Ticketmaster seats at the regular price the same weekend that you are going! $250 for the front orchestra ones, $175 for 1st mezzanine ones. Sorry to break it to you.
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:31 PM

Ticketmaster website says EJ's piano is located center stage, facing the right. A very good seating chart of the venue is at the Caesars Palace website. Sounds like you are getting a pretty good deal on the price of your seats. We bought ours 10-12 days ago; got the cheap seats in the 2nd mezz 3 rows from the top for $100 + fees (so they were $125 ea.). I'd always heard tickets to EJ's shows went for $800 or so apiece, so I'm just thrilled to be in the same room!

Donna
Old Aug 16th, 2004, 05:42 PM
emd
Original Poster

I saw what the Ticketmaster site siad about where his piano is positioned. But Surfergirl's post on this forum and another one I found on a fansite said that the piano was on the audience's left side (not in the center), w/the piano facing the right. So I am assuming if we are all the way on the audience's right side we will see his head and the rest of what goes on on stage, but not his hands on the keys. I am thinking the 1st mezzanine seats might be the best way to go since they are located further towards the center. I hope to hear from Surfergirl or someone who has been to the show.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, when I was there, the piano was to the LEFT of the center of the stage, as you are looking at the stage. You would probably be fine anywhere in the mezzanine, because you are looking down on the stage. Check out the photos below that I pulled off another fan website - you'll have to do a cut and paste. It will show the views from the mezzanine level. Go to the "vegas 1" and vegas 2 part.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/soy_isabelpg/my_photos
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hmmm ... wonder what "soy_isabel" used to take those pictures? I thought cameras weren't allowed at the performance. Maybe some of those digital camera-binoculars? I wonder how close they watch to make sure no one takes pictures?

Donna
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Cameras are forbidden and they do check. Obviously not that well in her instance. The weird thing is, Elton LIKES having photos taken at his concert. I guess management doesn't. When I went, I didn't bother trying to get one in. Others did, and they were found and checked. Having said that, it does give you a good insight as to where that piano is!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 10:09 AM

Thanks Surfergirl. I actually went ahead and got the front orchestra section seats; in section 2 instead of 6 where you were, and a bit further from the aisle than you were, and 10 rows from the stage. I decided to be up close instead of in the mezzanine. I am hearing repeatedly that there are no bad seats at this venue, since the seats curve around the stage. I hope it is worth it; I've never paid this much for a show but this is a close friend's birthday, and we will just have come from hiking for 4 days in Zion and Bryce, so this will hopefully be a great end to the trip.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Actually, when I went, I was in Orchestra 2, EE, seat 207 or something like that (after all, it's been months). Because of the curving of the stage and the seat placement, in front of me was only 1 row. I was able to see Elton's face (not his hands) and the rest of the band.

I'm hoping to go again next year. Yes, the prices are painful. Thank goodness husband and I both work and have only one kid.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:54 PM

We saw the show last year. Can't speak about the views from the floor because we were way up in the second mezzanine, but can say that even up at the top I felt like we were up close. I will say this about the floor seats...when he sang "Saturday Night's Alright" people from the floor seats got up and danced on the stage. We couldn't believe it; the security guys were off to the side and made sure no one came around the piano and got close to Elton, but otherwise they didn't stop anybody. By the end of the song the stage was full of audience members, who went back to their seats in an orderly fashion as soon as the song was over. I don't know if this happens all the time. We were there the Saturday night of his very first weekend, so maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe someone who's been more recently can say if this is still allowed to happen. If so, I'd pay whatever it takes to be in the front orchestra.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:00 PM

sart29: Have you looked at the fan website that Surfergirl mentioned? Some of the photos show audience members milling around on the stage, and I think they were pretty close to the piano. Maybe people in the floor seats are "invited" to come onto the stage, and those sitting higher up just don't realize it.

Donna
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Donna, I'm like you, I was just thrilled to be in the same room, so I went with the "cheap" seats. But can you image how thrilling to be on the same stage!!! I should have sprung for the big bucks.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:26 PM

sart29: I forgot to mention that the pictures on the fan website were dated 7-31-04 (I think), so I guess letting audience members onto the stage is a common occurrence. I still want to know how they got away with taking the pictures. I think I'll give the digital photo binoculars a try.

Donna
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:33 PM

By the way, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN TO THE EJ CONCERT, how "dressed down" can you be? When I saw Mystere, we wore skirts and sweaters. (My luggage got lost, and I had to borrow clothes from one of my friends from North Carolina, who met me in Vegas, and who did NOT wear the same size.) My friend and I will probably be stopping to gamble for an hour or so before the concert, and thought we would be more comfortable in nice slacks and blouses. Would we look really out of place?

Donna

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
emd
Original Poster

Donne: Well, I am planning on wearing my 1970s Elton John Tshirt (which has a pic of him in the big sunglasses and high heeled shoes!)
Sorry surfergirl, I had you mixed up w/the woman on the fan site, and her tickets were in section 6 (she has her ticket stub on the site so I could see where her seats were).
I have heard that every time he plays, those in the floor seats are allowed to come on stage to dance when he does Sat. Night.
Now I am getting more excited about the whole thing since more of you are posting.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Nice slacks and blouses would be fine. Some people were WAY dressed up and some in jeans, but the majority were what we call "kind of dressy". Hope that helps.
-shirley
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:32 AM

First two rows, every night, allowed up on stage during Saturday Night to dance.

It's not really a show to dress up for, although some people do. I wore black jeans and a black top and my dancing shoes ; many wear Elton John t-shirts with jeans.