Searching for condo on the Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aloha everyone. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 2-3 bedroom condo on the Big Island? It will be our first time there. We would like something with a "resort" type feel on the ocean or with a view of it (if possible). Also, will they allow 4 or 5 nights or does it have to be for a full week? Mahalo!
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM

We stayed at Kanaloa at Kona a couple of years ago and loved it. We had a 2 bedroom/ 2 bath and it also had a pullout sofa in living room. It was very spacious and beautiful and right on the ocean. No beach, as it is lava rock. Great restaurant was there also.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Have you tried vrbo.com or condosavers.com? I can usually find something I like thru one of them.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM

www.dreamhawaii.com

tell Carol what you need...she knows Kona and Maui.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Try VRBO, Vacation Rentals by Owner, there are tons of Condo's at prices significantly less than renting through an agency.

A couple of suggestions: Aston Kona by the Sea. We usually stay there, but it was closed for a complete renovation this summer. When it reopens, it should be very nice. Also, Keahou Surf and Racquet Club. Very nice ocean front units, very close to the ocean.

A place to avoid: Kona Bali Kai. We stayed there because the Kona by the Sea was closed. A very tired property, badly in need of updating.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Keahou Surf is a great place but they only have a few one bedroom condos and the rack rate is about $550 per night. It has beautiful views, good restaurant and is next to some of the best snorkeling on the island. Pool is a bit boring but when you're next to such a great snorkeling spot, who cares.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:25 AM

The Kona Coast Resorts have up to three bedrooms, however, there is a golf course between them and the ocean. Some units have a nice view of the ocean but not all of them. They also have a per night rate and aren't too expensive.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:32 AM

We've also stayed at the Kanaloa a few times and like it. Try a websearch; last time we rented a 2 br with ocean view directly from the owners we found on the internet. I don't remember the rate but I think it was under $200/nt. Otherwise you can deal directly with the property manager which I believe is Outrigger. The Kanaloa is right next to Keahou harbor from where you can take a snorkeling trip on the boat Fiarwind II to Kealakekua Bay: very nice.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:19 PM

VRBO has a bunch of Keahou Surf and Racquet Club condos in the 200/night range. The ocean front rooms are very ocean front though you couldn't get in the water as it is a very rough shorline.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:15 PM

ccalhoun, we found by calling both Hertz and Avis that they both close early in the evening (by about 9:30 pm if I remember right). We had an American flight that landed a good bit later and found that Budget was open late enough--or at least would wait till you landed if you had a reservation! Good luck!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their help. If anyone else has any other suggestions for my trip (must see, dining, or activities) let me know!