Search

Sea World

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Kate

Sea World

hi
anyone been to Sea World? I am booking my in laws on a 4 day trip in January to Sea World. They will probably spend one day their and a couple of the days either at Epcot or Animal Kingdom, or MGM studios. I was in WDW 10 years ago, so Im sure things have changed since then.
Any Hotel info would be great too.
thanks,
Kate

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 09:22 AM
suzan

I would definitely NOT spend a precious day in Orlando at Sea World! It's NOT worth it. There are too many other superior parks to experience there.

When you're in the Cleveland area, spend a day at the Sea World there. It's MUCH nicer. Then you can also go to nearby Cedar Point, the world's capitol for the fastest and tallest roller coaster (10, I think).

After all, if Sea World in it's purest form were that great, would they have to add amusement park rides and other misc. attractions?!?!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Larry

Kate
I think Seaworld is a fun park, especially if the whole trip is going to include some of the Disney Parks, Universal, etc. The above response does raise one important point though. If your inlaws are the kind of people who would be impressed by "the world's capitol for the fastest and tallest roller coaster", maybe Seaworld, which is primarily educational entertainment, might not be for them.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 12:20 PM
t.j.

I agree, Sea World has become extremely watered down in the past decade, if you'll excuse the pun.

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 07:35 AM
Joy in Virginia

My family really enjoys Sea World! It is a quieter, slower pace than the parks with thrill rides - but that is a good thing! Also we are going to Orlando in a few weeks & have reservations at Discovery Cove, the new park across the road from Sea world. Check out facts at www.discoverycove.com & check out a trip report with lots of photos at www.themeparks.com Admission to Discovery cove WITHOUT dolphin experience is only $89 per person & includes 7-day pass to Sea World. My 6 year old esp enjoys Sea World. We usually stay on WDW property for 2 or 3 days & parkhop at Disney, then move to our time-share that is kind of between the major attractions, & will then do a few days at Sea world & Universal. After a few intense WDW days, Sea World is a GREAT change of pace! I don't go there for thrill rides, I go to see the animals & I always learn something & enjoy myself. I agree with prior posters, depends on what interests your in-laws.

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 08:05 AM
David

We've gone to Orlando the last 5 yrs in a row and always include one day for Sea World. They truly have things to see and do for all ages. In addition, it's definitely a lot less crowded the WDW Parks (which I like a lot).

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:48 AM
kayla

If you saw the PBS special about the polar bears- Klondike and Snow you may be interested to know that (I believe) they are at Sea World Orlando. We are planning a trip to Florida and are thinking of SeaWorld just to see them (that was such a great documentary). I think it's hard to compare WDW to Sea World because they are so different- Sea World is more like going to the zoo-educational, relaxing but not exactly DisneyWorld!

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 07:29 AM
K..T.

Went to Sea World, Ohio - not a bad day but I agree with the other posters, nothing like WDW. As someone else said, if Sea World was so great, why did they have to add other kinds of amusements? Apparently the fish don't carry enough weight! lol

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:24 AM
Dewayne

When you buy a 1 day pass at sea world you may come back for a second day for free...In orlando, we spent a day and came back one evening and stayed for the fireworks.....It was awesome, I had tears in my eyes after the fireworks. neato. after 6pm the park empties.

have fun

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Dave G

Kate,
If your in laws like the animal thing in the theme parks then Seaworld may be worth a visit to them and they can also include include The Kraken (rollercoaster)but as for the other parks you mentioned Animal Kingdom is definately worth a visit but try and get there early and get on the kilamanjaro safari for when the animals are just waking up and moving around and also a 3-D show called "It's tough to be a bug" and lastly I think Islands Of Adventure as got to be the best for rides especially "Spiderman" and "duelling dragons" but all the parks are excellent for celebration parades and fireworks.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:44 PM
nancy

For Kayla!!
**Warning, Warning**
We took our children to Sea World 3 yrs. ago.
And Iwould definately go back.
BUT(excuse me for shouting in this posting),
Beware of the polar bear exhibit.
We chose one special thing to do there.
We purchased special tickets (which cost us at least $60 for 4) to go see the polar bears.
First we were bussed to a pool where the bears swim .
That is , IF they are out, which they were not.
So we stood around an empty pool while the guide talked to us.
Then , we went to the bear house , where we were to see the bears.
Unfortunately they were not awake and were in a side room.
By flattening one's face against the glass window, and craning one's neck sideways, we were able to see a paw of a sleeping bear.
After we all did that a few mins. the guide brought out a bearskin for all of us to touch.
My children , who were 7and 10yrs. were SO letdown!
And so were we.
We really felt we were taken for a ride.
So you may want to enquire more fully than we did IF you decide to sign up for on of these tours.
Good luck, have fun,
BUT beware.
Nancy

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:57 PM
David

Sorry to hear about the bear exhibit. We paid an extra amount (I believe $6 per) and did the behind scenes w/ the penguins. However, it was incredible! My daughter got to pet a penquin, etc. and we still talk about it 2 yrs later.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:31 AM
cat

We though Seaworld was fantastic. we went this March and I think it was much better(and cheaper) than Disney parks!!
As all have said it is quieter, but loads to do and see. Shows are fantastic, exhibits are great,rides were VERY WET though!!!
All our family enjoyed it, kids and grandparents.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:33 AM
kayla

Nancy- thanks for the info about the polar bear exhibit. I understand that sometimes the animals will be asleep (although polar bears are usual pretty active at our local zoo so I wouldn't have expected that). That certainly does not seem worth $60 and your time! Also the bearskin seems odd- why would an animal lover want to see that? Thanks for the warning.