SE Florida w/out a car

Search

SE Florida w/out a car

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SE Florida w/out a car

Please help direct my last-minute Florida vacation. I had my wallet stolen yesterday and so will not be able to rent a car but need help with choosing what TOWN and what HOTEL. We are arriving at the Fort Lauderdale airport at midnight on Friday and departing early Monday morning.

We had hoped for the Keys but fear it will be too difficult/expensive without a car.

our ideas: Fort Lauderdale, the Martindale
Key Biscayne, the Silver Sands Beach Resort. We are trying to keep our hotel costs under $175/night and would like to do some snorkeling. Thanks for any insight or direction.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:38 AM

I can't help you with hotel recommendations but I gather the reason you won't be able to rent a car is because your credit card was in your wallet. I don't know which CC company you have but mine was able to Fed-Ex me a replacement card when I lost it. I had the card the next day. If you are not leaving until Friday you may still have time to get a replacement. Good luck.

One other thought, you mention "we" in your post. Perhaps your travelling companion might have a CC that you can use to rent the car.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I should have been more clear--I lost my driver's license and cannot get the temporary replacement license for 7 days...grrr! CC is not a problem.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:10 AM
GoTravel

If you are carless, the only area that is easy to get around in without a car is South Beach.

Both Ft. Lauderdale and Key Biscayne are nearly impossible to visit if you are carless.

South Beach is very compact, everything is walking distance or short cheap cab ride away. It is actually car unfriendly.

Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:03 PM

You can get around parts of Ft. Lauderdale via water taxi. I believe their convention and visitors website has a map.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My goodness - what state do you live in? I can get a duplicate or temp drivers license in an hour.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM

Water Taxi route in FLL
http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLMap.Asp

Places to stay where you don't need a car
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34573240

Delray info
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34545742

Ft. Lauderdale transportation
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34735979

Just remember you're saving money on the car rental so use a taxi to treat yourself when you need to.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:29 PM

Another thought, if you wanted to go to Key West, you really don't need a car there. Fly from FLL to Key West.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 12:47 PM

Good luck on your journey. Hope you have other photo ID for the airline.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM

Photo ID for the airline so you can get through security at the airport should be your first concern pinecone. Do you have an acceptable photo ID to show at the airport..other than your license which was stolen?

I don't know what state you live in but it seems to me the very first trip you should make is to your closest DMV office to get a replacement..I would also call your airlines to see if a temporary license will be acceptable for ID purposes. Best wishes.

Well just reread your post and see that you can't get a temporary replacement drivers license for 7 days. So do call your airlines as you will need some kind of photo ID. Do you have a passport? Best regards.