LAX Terminal Navigation Time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering 2 different direct flights from LAX to Mexico in mid-Feb, however have never been in LAX before. I hope that someone may be able to give an idea of the average time to get between Terminals 1 and 3. Specifically, will be arriving on a 11:50 a.m. domestic flight in Term 1, and wonder whether would be able to make either a 12:45 p.m. flight departing from Term 1 or, alternatively another departing at same time from Term 3. Thank you in advance everyone!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:19 AM

With all security-checks nowadays it seems impossible to me.
Maybe within the same terminal you can make it, but it will be very short.
Did you book 2 different flights on 2 different tickets? In that case the risk is all yours. If it is in 1 ticket and the airlines agreed to it, they have to rebook you if you miss your flight.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:32 AM
ltr

I believe there is a 46 minute cutoff for check in on international flights, so you may want to check that out.

As for LAX, Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 are on the same side of the airport and are basically in the same building, although I cannot recall if you can go from one to the next or if you need to use the outdoor sidewalk. There are 39 gates combined between Terminal 1, 2, and 3, with each terminal set up in a U shape. Basically, you need to know that your first flight may land at the end of Terminal 1 and your next flight leaves from the end of Terminal 3 so you would be walking the entire U shaped building.

Are you checking your luggage through or do you have to wait for your bags to recheck them?
Also, it takes longer to check in for a flight to Mexico due to the Birth Certificate/passport check. Has the new requirements gone into effect yet requiring a passport? We always just use ours because it is faster than using the birth certificate verification.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:24 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The last few time we've had to transit or depart through Terminal 3 at LAX (used by Alaska Airlines) the security lines have been hellish and I would think your chances are low, especially if you have to re-check bags (i.e. your first airline can't through-check them, which ought to be possible but isn't with some airlines, like Southwest -> Alaska.) At T3 you get your boarding pass and get your bags tagged by the agent, then you have to tote your bags to a separate bag screening/x-ray point to drop them off, and only then do you go to the (l-o-n-g) lines for personal screening and carryon x-ray.

So with your connection time, and recognizing flights do arrive late sometimes at LAX, I think it's too close.

On the other hand, if you're connecting to Alaska Airlines, their on-time departure record lately is so lousy that you may find yourself with plenty of time after all.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM

Unfortunately, LAX is not one of the airports where you can check through security at one point and then go from one terimnal to another behind the security checkpoint. If you come into Terminal 1 and go out of Terminal 3, you will have to go through security when you get down to Terminal 3. This can be a pain and take a long time if you happen to hit it at a busy time. I would definitely want more time to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3. I would not feel comfortable with less tha 90 minutes between flights. Are these partner airlines? I can't believe any airline would think you could do this easily if at all, but do understand if you are booking two seperate flights and not between partners - then I guess they expect you to know and decide.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:19 PM

I was misinformed about all the security checking at LAX. Its disgustingly poor to my mind compared to some other countries and compared to my expectations.

If it were me I would book the later flight (on the presumption that this is not a peak flying time) and then push through as expeiditously as possible to pick up my luggage and then I would NOT check them back in straight away but would walk my luggage to terminal 3 and check in there on the hope that there is enough seats and enough time to get on your 12:45 flight but if not then at least you have the later flight already booked.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM

Am I missing something in the OP?

He's arriving T1 at 11:50.

His choices of departures are:

- T1 at 12:45pm
- T3 at 12:45pm

Well, the answer is apparent, isn't it? T1 should be okay, as he won't need to reclear security, and gates are closer. T3, risky.