Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How do I get from one terminal to another at LAX?

Old Dec 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all-
I am contemplating this:
Taking a Frontier flight from Denver to connect with a Qantas flight from LAX to SYD. I am using FF miles for LAX to SYD and paying separately for the DEN-LAX OW flight. It's not expensive. So if I arrive in Terminal 3 on Frontier, do I collect my luggage at baggage claim and re-check in at Tom Bradley to catch my Qantas flight? I would allow myself AT LEAST 3 hours to do all of this.

I've been to Australia 4 times but always flying from NYC (my home) and on American/Qantas all the way thru, hence the question this time around.

Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Terminal 3 is right next to the Tom Bradley International Terminal. You could just walk.

http://www.lawa.org/lax/terminalMap.cfm
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:48 PM

I don't remember what terminal I landed at, but I had 5 hours, and I just walked around to the departing terminal.
I know it wasn't too far to walk.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, walkable. I'm guessing you'll have to collect your luggage and re-check at the Bradley terminal, but I'd call the airlines and ask. The security check at Bradley can get very congested at times, so I think three hours would be the absolute minimum layover.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
First, be sure it's TBIT you're leaving from. Some Qantas flights to Sydney from LAX depart from T4 (the AA terminal) next to TBIT.

Either way, I don't think Frontier has any interline baggage agreements, so you'll need to fetch them at T3 and walk (or wait for the alleged bus connection - "alleged" because I've waited umpteen times for the scheduled transfer bus and haven't yet ridden one.)

One thing worth trying (letting loose of secrets here maybe) is that the rental bag cart machines at LAX all seem to accept US AAA (auto club) cards as payment, if you need a cart. Who knew. Coming back, the carts in the international arrivals areas at TBIT and T4 (last time I checked) were all free, for the schlep back to Frontier if needed.
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Hey, great tip about the luggage carts! Thanks! I will for sure check to see where the Sydney flight flies out of, just couldn't remember if it was a really far walk from T3 to T4 to Tom Bradley. I don't remember it being too bad. Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Do check which terminal your flight to SYD leaves from. Twice our nonstop flight on Qantas to SYD left from T4. We had to check in at the AA counter. We fly in on SWA so we had to collect our bags and get over to T4. Not that long of a walk. There is also a shuttle bus between the terminals.