Reload this Page >

Scuba near San Diego

Search

Scuba near San Diego

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:17 AM
gail

Scuba near San Diego

Will be going to San Diego this summer and my husband might like to try a dive or two. Any info on dive shops that do dive groups and/or 1/2 day trips with equipment rental available? I gather water is cold even in August - wet suit, dry suit? Thanks.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:20 AM
xxx

My husband who is a dive master, went on one of his worst dives in San Diego. Got caught in the red tide in the kelp forest dressed up like a seal. He said never again.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Kathy

I would look into La Jolla or Catalina Island (about 1hhr from SD), I think that's about it in SD area.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 11:49 AM
J

The water will be cold, the current strong, the visibility poor, and the kelp annoying as all get out. Unless you're very, very experienced, it won't be much fun.

Still, people do dive. I would ask your local dive shop fro advice about a local SD shop to talk to. That's where you'll get the best advice. Good luck!

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 03:17 AM
gail

Thanks for info - it sounds like it is not really worth it. (He would take time from family vacation to dive only if it were a real event.) PS - As far as cole water - we live in Boston area and are used to cold, but he finally got a dry suit and dives 8 months/year.