Scuba in Kauai w/o certification

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We visited Maui last year and took a snorkeling trip with Trilogy. They offered an introductory scuba dive (it wasn't very deep- maybe 30 ft?) and provided training on board the boat. Does anybody know who does this on Kauai?
We liked the whole scuba experience but we won't have the time/money to get certified before we go.

Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:18 AM

www.divekauai.com offers Discovery Scuba. If you go to www.padi.com you can locate several other dive centers that offer Discover Scuba on Kauai. I went on a Discover Scuba dive in Kauai last May and loved it. We dove between 20-40 ft and saw eels and sea turtles as well as many fish. Be forewarned! Its addictive.

Just this week, my 15 yr old and I completed our scuba course work and are doing our four certification dives in Florida in two weeks. Good luck.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:47 AM
GoTravel

Because it is so expensive, I would go the extra mile and go ahead and get certified. You will not get your C card with a resort course and it doesn't go toward getting your C card.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Just some considerations...
My Open Water coursework was $225.
Four certification dives are $180 total.
I had to buy snorkel ($45), fins ($189), and mask ($84), weight belt and weights (don't remember the cost)for class. I bought midrange equipment, not the most expensive. The pool where I took the class was 71 degrees- too cold to be in for 2 hours without a wetsuit which cost $149.

It only cost about $100 to do the Discovery Scuba and they gave me a card that I could use for $25 for my certification if I chose to get certified later.

Also, my husband did the Discover Scuba and had a terrible time with his ears for two weeks so he didn't want to get certified. I'm glad we found that out before he bought all the stuff to take class.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations.

Does anybody know of a company that has both a scuba & snorkeling trip?