Question about beaches on Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been to Kauai once, but did not get to snorkel much. My husband has never been there and wants to go, but I really want to go somewhere with beautiful water like Tahiti and alot of parts of the Caribbean. Getting to Caribbean is time consuming from us coming from West Coast (California).

My question is for those of you who have been to Kauai - is the ocean water anyway near as nice as the Caribbean's? I know it's probably not as nice and clear as Grand Cayman, Bahamas, Cozumel or Virgin Islands, but is it better than St. Lucia's or Grenada's and the Pacific Coast of Mexico?
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 01:31 PM

I can only tell you this. I have been to Kauai many times. Last March while staying on the Northshore for 9 nights, I hiked down to Hideaways Beach to snorkle. I hit a patch of moss that looked like sandstone and broke my wrist.

We spent 22 nights in Hawaii, and other then some wading I never got to swim with the fishies, never got to paddleboard, kayak, or body surf.

And still, it was a magical vacation in every way.

I've done some great snorkling in Kauai. Not the best but great. Beware the winter surf that will change your options for seeing the fishies. And whether the 4 seasons, the surf and the water are always beautiful from land, and we have seen some mighty big surf and some mighty calm surf.

Go for it. Just don't tell your friends. Wouldn't want it to get touristy!!!
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 01:45 PM

The snorkeling on the Big Island is better than it is on Kauai (in my opinion)...but the snorkeling in Kauai is FAR better than the snorkeling on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. A lot warmer, too!

And no, it's not as nice and clear as Cozumel.

Snorkeling at Hideaways is pretty decent, actually. But you can probably tell from Kealalani's post that it's a bit of a hike. It's a steep hill and can often be muddy. My 67 year old dad managed to fall on his way down in May but did not suffer any broken bones. Just beware that it's a little bit of a challenge -- you won't be hauling a big cooler down with you for the day for sure.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 06:14 PM

So glad your dad didn't get hurt. For me actually the hike down was easy. It was walking the beach and hitting a rocky patch that didn't appear slippery that was my demise.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:01 PM

The two Caribbean islands I have been to are Virgin Gorda and St. John and Kauai can't touch them for water clarity, warmth, and snorkeling, BUT Kauai is Kauai...a unique and beautiful place that stands on its own in so many ways. We've been many times.

My favorite spot to snorkel is Makua (Tunnels) Beach on the north shore of the island. June, July and August are your best months for snorkeling on the north shore. The surf conditions are flatter and the currents are not as strong. Snorkeling on the south shore is not that great any time of year IMO.

The currents and surf can tricky and dangerous at anytime of the year there, so caution and a healthy respect for mother nature are essential when in the water.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 09:56 PM

NOthing beats Tahiti for snorkeling in clear water - Kauai isn't the best but it is fun and you are bound to see some beautiful fish just not as many as others. Still I love Kauai and will be going back for my 12th trip in February for my 65th. Can't wait....