Kauai best beaches, best attractions

Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kauai best beaches, best attractions

Hi,
We will be in Kauai for one week starting May 29. It has been 23 years between trips! Looking forward to this big time. What are the can't miss things to do. Definitely going to the canyon and will be doing some snorkeling. Should we rent equipment or buy at kmart or walmart? Thanks in advance,
Linda and Tom
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:50 AM

Lucky you!
We like snorkeling at Makua (Tunnels) Beach and Ke'e Beach. Hideaways Beach is also another gem for swimming and snorkeling when the seas are calm. Pick up the book Kauai Revealed and read it on the plane over. It has great information on beaches and where to snorkel. We bring our own snorkeling gear over with us, so I can't help you with renting snorkeling gear.

Hanging out on Hanalei Bay is another favorite activity. Drive down to the pier, take a walk down the bay and then plunk yourself down on the sand and soak up the beauty surrounding you. This is a great place at sunset (bring the Off).

Have a great trip. Post back after you get back.
-Bill
Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:16 AM

We have rented snorkel equipment from Snorkel Bob's. There are 2 stores in Kauai. We found the quality of the equipment to be very good.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:57 AM

We bought inexpensive equipment at Wal-Mart on Maui and carried it over to Kauai. It worked great! I'm sure they would have similar at K-Mart.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:58 AM

And we loved snorkeling at Poipu Beach in south Kauai.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:55 AM

I agree with the other posts on places to snorkel on Kauai. We pack our own snorkel gear and like to snorkel whenever at the beach. I prefer the north shore and we like staying in Princeville. I also recommend wearing some sort of shoe or sandal to protect your feet from getting cut on the jagged reef on the north shore.

Beyond snorkeling, the top three attractions that my wife and I highly enjoyed the last time we visited Kauai (our favorite island) are the following:

1. Hiking the Kalalau Trail on the north end of the island. Here’s a link: http://www.end.com/~jynx/travel/kauai/day4.html

2. Kayak the Waimea River, and hike a short distance to the Hidden Falls. There are guided tours that provide a lunch and kayaks for $90/person. We rented a kayak from a local outfitter for about $25, packed a lunch and did our own tour, saving a bundle. When we got to the same destination as the group, and the guide found out, he kind of gave us the hush signal, not wanting us to spill the beans. You can look online for rentals.

3. Take a helicopter tour of the island. This was simply amazing. You see coastline and waterfalls that are inaccessible to the public.

Aloha!
~ ben
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:25 AM

Haven't been yet, going in September.... But I know that our hotel (Four Seasons in Wailea) provides free snorkel equipment each day for a certain amount of time. Don't know where you're staying, but it might be worth looking into.