Drunken revelry? IDEAS PLEASE!!

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drunken revelry? IDEAS PLEASE!!

I am a 24 year old woman who will be finishing up a master's degree and am planning a girl's trip for my best friend (who is in the midst of a DVM/PhD and could use a break) and me, before starting on a PhD in August. We want to go somewhere were we can go out on the town a lot, as well as shopping, and even sightseeing. It doesn't have to be a super-cheap trip but also not absurd in expense and we don't have time for anything outside this country (except maybe mexico or islands) really. Any ideas would be very very appriciated.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:14 PM

my bf and I did a carnival cruise for the exact same reasons you are stating - it was awesome.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:21 PM

If you seek drunken revelry, you can't go wrong with either New Orleans, New York, or Key West. All three are hot in the summer, but all three are fun!

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:37 PM

I went with Memphis with some friends last summer. Not much shopping, but it was a great party city. Beale Street was a blast; the music and food and sightseeing (Graceland) were fantastic. Also baseball if you are interested. Not as pricey as NY or NOLA. Have a good time and congrats.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:42 PM

Chicago.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:50 PM

Sounds like New Orleans to me! It will be hot in August, but there is always a cool drink and a cool bar waiting! You can go out on the town all day and all night. The bars only close for about an hour or so in the morning to clean and then open again. There is pretty good shopping - Shops at Canal Place if you're looking for real shopping or French Market for local things. "and even sightseeing" - there's plenty of that, too. You can do sightseeing while taking the streetcar up St. Charles Avenue to another bar.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:51 PM
Dan

Gosh, this just screams "New Orleans!"
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM

My favorite girl trips were to New Orleans and Vegas, in that order. New York is high up too but just not as revelry focused. I live in Chicago so I'm biased but we always manage to have fun out on the town and it and NYC won't be as hot as some of the other locales.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:58 PM
Kal

Why does every celebration have to be associated with drinking?
Really people!

heh heh heh. CHEERS and congrats!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:08 PM

Here's another vote for New Orleans. Vegas is a very close second.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:11 PM

New Orleans smells like pee and vomit, especially in August! Go to Vegas
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM

Glad to see I'm not just biased!

I spent Saturday night on Bourbon and surrounding areas for a bachelorette party - discovered a bar near House of Blues with a mechanical bull... ... ...
Oh wait! I signed an Oath that "what happens at the bachelorette party, STAYS at the bachelorette party!"
ANYWAY. We had a GREAT time and I can't wait to go again! I always wish that I wasn't from here. Seems like you could have even more fun if you aren't worried about seeing co-workers, parents' friends, friends' parents, boyfriends friends... ... ...
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Provincetown MA is a small town with a big history of partying.

Most of the town's bars, nightclubs, restaurants and accommodations are on Commercial street which rings the the town's harbor on Cape Cod Bay. Everything is in walking distance of each other so you can party without having to drive.

During the day theres: Shopping on Commercial Street with tons of unique shops; Whale Watch boats; Dune and trolley tours; National Seashore beaches; Harbor tours; galleries, and the Pilgrim Monument and Museum.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM
GoTravel

Lawsy child, go to South Beach. Drink frozen cocktails by day, mojitos by evening, get your freak on at night.

Eat, drink, lay out on the beach, and be merry.

It's cheap in the summer and you don't need a car.

Get a cheap package on priceline. They tell you the name of the hotel ahead of time.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:37 PM

My first place vote goes to NOLA but remember you might have some bad hair days w/the humidity (but then again, so will everyone else around you!)

I still haven't been to Vegas but seems like a place you could party...

NYC might not fit your budget...

I went to Provincetown right after college and stayed w/a friend whose parents summered in Truro, a town away--fun but small...

Carnival Cruise--I've done that too but Aug. is the start of hurricane season...
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM

Wait a min.!! Just thought another idea. What about Cancun? I'm sure you could find a cheap package w/Vacation Express, Apple Tours or some other outfit...

We had a blast and it didn't cost much!!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:51 PM

I second the South Beach trip. If you get a hotel on or near the beach, you will never need a car to party.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:00 PM

I vote for New Orleans. I think South Beach could be fun if that's what you are in the mood food - beautiful fashionable people at super hip clubs and restaurants. However New Orleans would be better for a more laid back atmosphere. St Thomas might be fun as far as islands go - I hear they have some great shopping deals on designer stuff!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 02:02 PM

You are soooo right onewanderingjew! It's always a ponytail or a hat <) all summer long!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM

I vote for South Beach or New Orleans...both are great fun for girls on the town. Can I come too?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information