Scottsdale Accommodations

Sep 19th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Scottsdale Accommodations

I am arriving in Scottsdale late on Fri, Nov 3 and leaving on Sun, Nov 5. I wanted to stay at the Biltmore since I am a big fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and plan to see Taliesen West. But nothing is available at the Biltmore for the 2 nights.

Any suggestions? I'm flexible with respect to price, though I appreciate a good value.
Sep 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM

Well, it ain't the Biltmore but I've stayed at the Caleo on Scottsdale Rd. and find it to be a good value and a cozy little place. Nice interior courtyard with a pretty pool area and a number of firepits along the winding sidewalks.

Redone in 2005 and has a nice workout room and a free Cadillac Escalade shuttle within a 3 mile radius. That will get you to the Borgata and to downtown Scottsdale. I actually walked to Camelback and hiked up it from the hotel.

If price is no object I'd stay at Sanctuary on Camelback. GREAT spa, views of Camelback over the infinity edge pool that are awesome at sunset and a nice restaurant (Elements) to view sunset.
Sep 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM

If you want to be farther north, closer to Taliesin I'd try the Fairmont Princess or the JW Marriott.
Sep 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Over 20 years ago I passed through Scottsdale and stayed at the Camelback Inn. Does that hotel still exi?t.
Sep 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM

My parents stayed there when OSU went to the 1984 Fiesta Bowl so I haven't been to Camelback Inn for a long time either. I just checked it out on tripadvisor. It gets rave reviews and is affiliated with JW Marriott so you can check out their website as well.
Sep 20th, 2006, 06:36 AM

You could also check the Biltmore's cancellation policy. If it's 24 hrs. prior, you could possibly get in depending on your flexibility as well as the cancellation policy of the hotel you do book.
Sep 20th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Suerich68

Princess is very nice, as is the Phoenician.

Sep 20th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Check out Westin Kierland Resort. I can't give a personal review since I won't be staying there until January. But, hey, if it's good enough for Brad and Angelina.......
Sep 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM

We've stayed at the Biltmore a couple of times and really enjoyed it. I hope you placed your name on the cancellation list. Have you checked out the Phoenician? http://thephoenician.com/pages/index.html
Sep 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM

Caleo is OK the rooms are dark but new fittings...the hotel has changed hands and is no longer part of Noble House now run by Kimpton so has to be better. Stayed there last fall it is good location but the service was poor and we did not like the dark rooms. The pools were nice but no sun shine since they are surrounded by trees that need to either pruned way back or cut all the way down. It may have changed by now though.

For an interesting treat try a dinner at the Scottsdale Culinary Institute right downtown - great food all produced by students at a nice prices. We liked it so much we went twice.
Sep 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Oh yes, for a great hotel that you will NEVER go wrong with choose JW Marriott Desert Ridge.....superb
Sep 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Well, folks, I've checked out lots of your suggestions and was surprised at how many of them are sold out for the weekend of November 3. It forced me to re-think my stay in Scottsdale.

I'm arriving late on Friday night and leaving Sunday morning for a leisurely drive to Sedona. I wanted to stay in the Biltmore because of Frank Lloyd Wright's design. However, I am less enthusiastic about staying at some of the other $300+ per night places suggested on this message board. I realize that I have only one full day, Saturday, which I expect to spend sightseeing without time to enjoy the facilities of some of the fabulous places suggested. Any suggestions that are more downscale given my circumstances, say $150-200 per night?

Also, any suggestions about location appreciated as I am unfamiliar with Scottsdale.

BTW Curt - the Scottsdale Culinary Institute sounds real interesting. I live near the Culinary Institute of America in the Hudson Valley, which is a fantastic experience when time and availability allow me to dine there. Sounds somewhat similar.

Thanks to all for the many responses.
Sep 21st, 2006, 03:15 AM

I would think the Caleo would be in your price range if it is available on your dates. It is within a mile or so of Old Town Scottsdale and probably 30 minutes via the 101 to Taliesin West (but don't hold me to that time as rush hour traffic can affect times alot).
Sep 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

I checked the Calao too. Sold out!!

Is there a convention of some sort around November 3?

If I end up booking something simple, like a Marriot Courtyard, should I look for a place in or near old Scottsdale?
Sep 21st, 2006, 04:08 PM

If location is important and style not, try the Days Inn at Fashion Square off Scottsdale Rd. You can then walk to Old Town and the Culinary Institute. I believe there is also a Marriot or Hilton nearby.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:22 AM

There's a Summerfield Suites walkable to Old Town Scottsdale. It's in a very nice area.

Earlier this year, I stayed at a Country Inn and Suites on Shea which was modest, but quite nice and very affordable. This was about 15-20 minutes from Old Town Scottsdale, but probably less than ten minutes from Taliesen West.

I love Scottsdale - have fun!
Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:21 AM

I have stayed in quite a few properties in Scottsdale for business. For your budget, I would stay at the Residence Inn at 6040 Scottsdale Road. It is located just around the corner from Camelback Inn and is also just next store to the Renaissance which is a great property values wise but their price for your weekend are high.
The Residence Inn is located in a quiet area but is near restaurants and shops. Room price includes a continental breakfast. You would be a short drive to Old Scottsdale. I've stayed here many times and always found it to be clean and quiet.