Schooners in Camden, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In another posting, dfrostnh mentioned about schooners in Camden, Maine. I have looked at a number of websites for those varius schooners & wondering if anybody has any recomendations on which one to choose. Looking for a daysail, 2 or 3 hrs. Will be there Thurs or Friday the last week of June, 2007. Have never been on a schooner before. They all look to be within about the same price range. Any personal experiences with those? Is there one that is better than another as regards to the actual boat? Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Anybody familiar with these? They must have enough people who use their services to stay in business?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:48 PM

Here's a couple that are a few years old.

Maybe jersey will see and weigh in on this. She still posts here.

It sounds as if Donna has taken a few of them and not had a bad experience.

Not a lot on this board - that I could find anyway.

Trivia question - Does anyone know what Ben Affleck's first filmed acting experience was?

Author: jersey
Date: 05/31/2002, 07:58 pm
A day trip to Monhegan Island. We took the Balmy Days II out of Boothbay. It was great. Hope you'll like it.We coincidentally saw whales and seals around the island. Spend the day on the island( pretty much in it's natural state).It's beautiful & scenic. Eat your lunch atop one of the 160 foot cliffs overlooking the sea(we packed lobster lunches from Boothbay) or visit one of the 4 restaurants on the island.You can browse in the artists' studios and watch them paint their works as you venture on the trails. I search Monhegan Island on the internet and found the boat by inquiring. It was a great day trip.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Donna
Date: 05/31/2002, 09:18 pm
We've taken lots and lots of day cruises over the years all along the coast of Maine. All have been excellent. The commentary is almost always fabulous, and we always learn a lot. A memorable one was the "lobstering" tour from Barnacle Billy's at Perkins Cove in Ogunquit.

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Starrsville. All help greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:59 AM

I love LOOKING at the windjammers. A group of us organized a weekend sail one June a long time ago and the weather was horrible. We had to go and the trip was miserable. Our organizer reversed the cabin plans so instead of choosing one of the best we got The Worst. But, if you're just looking for a day sail you'll probably do fine as long as the weather is good. Even if the weather is gorgeous, it could be very cold out on the water. We took a boat ride once in mid-June where the crew handed out blankets. So far our favorite boat ride in Maine has been the one at the Maritime Museum in Bath to see lighthouses. Great narration. We went when it was a full day trip with a BYO picnic lunch on a little island. The weather was perfect that day. I think now they just do half day trips. But it's not a schooner.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that it could be cold & may need to have some layered clothing just in case. For most of these, do you have to reserve ahead of time, or are still able to get tickets 1 day for the next day, or even the same day for a later cruise? Especially since the weather may be unpredictable so far in advance. Once again, we would be looking at doing this either the last Thursday or last Friday in June. For this trip, I am looking to do a short schooner cruise. From what I have been reading on the various websites is that if interested in wildlife, the earliest cruise in the day would be the best. Thanks again all.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 08:56 AM

We sailed on the Mercantile in 2001 on a 4- or 5- night, don't remember which. BEST VACATION EVER. We really loved it. We made it all the way to Sommes Sound and saw the Bass Harbor Head light as well as MANY others you'll never see from a highway.

www.sailmainecoast.com

If you just want a day sail, I'm sure any of the schooners will do. Take a hat!
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

xrae. Thanks for the website. I have come acros a number of them, but not this one. It is a real help.